Sep 6, 2012, 3:00 PM EST
Los Angeles Kings enforcer Kevin Westgarth has been heavily involved in labor talks through the summer. With a lockout looking more and more likely, he’s speaking his mind.
Westgarth spoke with Danny Picard on his show “I’m Just Sayin'” and sounded off in a big way on the NHL owners. CSNNE.com highlighted some of the juicier thoughts to chew on, one of which takes the owners to task.
“As you said, the fans are frustrated, and I think the players are frustrated as well,” Westgarth said. “It’s something that we do want to take care of. I think the owners and the NHL got essentially everything they wanted last time, and for them to come with the variety of proposals they’ve brought so far just strictly isn’t fair. We’re looking for a fair deal just so we can get back to playing hockey.”
Westgarth also teed off on NHL commissioner Gary Bettman who essentially said the players should be paid less.
“Gary [Bettman] has said it himself, he said he feels that the owners should be paying us less. That obviously- I tend to disagree with that. It’s a league that has had record revenue the last few years. The game is just growing.”
It’s tough to argue with a guy who can both punch you while waving a Princeton education in your face.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 9
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 5
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 12
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)