Sep 6, 2012, 9:20 PM EDT
They’re ranked 122 out of 122 teams in the four “major” professional sports – edging the woeful Sacramento Kings – so they’re not just last among NHL teams.
The Columbus Blue Jackets were the second lowest ranked NHL team while – wait for it – the Phoenix Coyotes were the No.1 pro hockey team.
How did ESPN come to such conclusions?
The quirky poll ranks teams in such categories as “bang for the buck” and “affordability,” so it makes some sense that a team that struggles in the standings but lights up the box office would perform so poorly.
The Leafs have finished no better than 120th since 2008, but they’ve never been last before. In 2008, they were edged out by the New York Knicks. In 2009, it was the Knicks and the L.A. Clippers. In 2010, only the Clippers remained, and in 2011, the Cincinnati Bengals and Washington Redskins beat them out.
Note: the table in the link seems a little funky, so Mooney’s account of the magazine itself should be more reliable read on the study’s specifics.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (59)