Sep 6, 2012, 9:20 PM EST
They’re ranked 122 out of 122 teams in the four “major” professional sports – edging the woeful Sacramento Kings – so they’re not just last among NHL teams.
The Columbus Blue Jackets were the second lowest ranked NHL team while – wait for it – the Phoenix Coyotes were the No.1 pro hockey team.
How did ESPN come to such conclusions?
The quirky poll ranks teams in such categories as “bang for the buck” and “affordability,” so it makes some sense that a team that struggles in the standings but lights up the box office would perform so poorly.
The Leafs have finished no better than 120th since 2008, but they’ve never been last before. In 2008, they were edged out by the New York Knicks. In 2009, it was the Knicks and the L.A. Clippers. In 2010, only the Clippers remained, and in 2011, the Cincinnati Bengals and Washington Redskins beat them out.
Note: the table in the link seems a little funky, so Mooney’s account of the magazine itself should be more reliable read on the study’s specifics.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 24
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)