Sep 6, 2012, 7:32 PM EDT
The Shane Doan contract deadline has changed frequently this summer, but he reiterated in an interview with XTRA Sports 910 that he’ll get a deal done by “midnight” on Sept. 15.
Chris Nichols transcribes some of his key quotes, starting with that deadline.
“I want everything to be done and over with,” Doan said. “I will be signed by midnight on the 15th.”
Doan said that the running is “down to two or three teams” but didn’t name them. He continues to state that he intends to stick with the Phoenix Coyotes if possible.
“My goal is to sign here … we have a deal worked out,” Doan said. “[The] focus is still with the Coyotes. It’s never, ever changed.”
He described other suitors as “phenomenally patient,” but Five For Howling points out that Doan said he’s just waiting on Glendale to sign the new ownership deal.
Still, it’s unclear what Doan’s strategy will be if the city hasn’t signed that agreement by Sept. 15.
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 0
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 28
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 51
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 21
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 12
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 26
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 98
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)
- Cooke to play 1,000th game tomorrow (56)