Sep 6, 2012, 7:32 PM EDT
The Shane Doan contract deadline has changed frequently this summer, but he reiterated in an interview with XTRA Sports 910 that he’ll get a deal done by “midnight” on Sept. 15.
Chris Nichols transcribes some of his key quotes, starting with that deadline.
“I want everything to be done and over with,” Doan said. “I will be signed by midnight on the 15th.”
Doan said that the running is “down to two or three teams” but didn’t name them. He continues to state that he intends to stick with the Phoenix Coyotes if possible.
“My goal is to sign here … we have a deal worked out,” Doan said. “[The] focus is still with the Coyotes. It’s never, ever changed.”
He described other suitors as “phenomenally patient,” but Five For Howling points out that Doan said he’s just waiting on Glendale to sign the new ownership deal.
Still, it’s unclear what Doan’s strategy will be if the city hasn’t signed that agreement by Sept. 15.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)