Sep 6, 2012, 7:32 PM EST
The Shane Doan contract deadline has changed frequently this summer, but he reiterated in an interview with XTRA Sports 910 that he’ll get a deal done by “midnight” on Sept. 15.
Chris Nichols transcribes some of his key quotes, starting with that deadline.
“I want everything to be done and over with,” Doan said. “I will be signed by midnight on the 15th.”
Doan said that the running is “down to two or three teams” but didn’t name them. He continues to state that he intends to stick with the Phoenix Coyotes if possible.
“My goal is to sign here … we have a deal worked out,” Doan said. “[The] focus is still with the Coyotes. It’s never, ever changed.”
He described other suitors as “phenomenally patient,” but Five For Howling points out that Doan said he’s just waiting on Glendale to sign the new ownership deal.
Still, it’s unclear what Doan’s strategy will be if the city hasn’t signed that agreement by Sept. 15.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 3
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 14
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5