Sep 6, 2012, 7:54 PM EDT
Chris Johnston of The Canadian Press reports that top NHL and NHLPA execs Gary Bettman, Bill Daly and Donald Fehr won’t collect checks during a lockout.
Johnston points out that it’s a change of pace from the NHL side, as Bettman and Daly were paid during the 2004-05 work stoppage.
Daly didn’t confirm that report, but he provided some wiggle room:
” … The assumption that high-ranking league executives will continue to receive a salary during a lockout is not necessarily accurate,” Daly said.
For Fehr, it’s a common strategy.
Johnston reports that Fehr hasn’t been paid since July 1 and didn’t collect money when the MLB went on strike.
“It’s both a measure of solidarity and uniformity of interest,” Fehr said. “You want the players to understand you’re in the same boat they are — you don’t have interests different than they do. We think it’s important.”
Going a step further, CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio wonders about team-by-team executives.
so if NHL and NHLPA execs are declining salaries, what about club execs throughout the league?—
Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) September 06, 2012
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 8
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 8
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 41
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 49
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (50)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)