Sep 6, 2012, 7:54 PM EDT
Chris Johnston of The Canadian Press reports that top NHL and NHLPA execs Gary Bettman, Bill Daly and Donald Fehr won’t collect checks during a lockout.
Johnston points out that it’s a change of pace from the NHL side, as Bettman and Daly were paid during the 2004-05 work stoppage.
Daly didn’t confirm that report, but he provided some wiggle room:
” … The assumption that high-ranking league executives will continue to receive a salary during a lockout is not necessarily accurate,” Daly said.
For Fehr, it’s a common strategy.
Johnston reports that Fehr hasn’t been paid since July 1 and didn’t collect money when the MLB went on strike.
“It’s both a measure of solidarity and uniformity of interest,” Fehr said. “You want the players to understand you’re in the same boat they are — you don’t have interests different than they do. We think it’s important.”
Going a step further, CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio wonders about team-by-team executives.
so if NHL and NHLPA execs are declining salaries, what about club execs throughout the league?—
Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) September 06, 2012
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)