Sep 6, 2012, 7:54 PM EDT
Chris Johnston of The Canadian Press reports that top NHL and NHLPA execs Gary Bettman, Bill Daly and Donald Fehr won’t collect checks during a lockout.
Johnston points out that it’s a change of pace from the NHL side, as Bettman and Daly were paid during the 2004-05 work stoppage.
Daly didn’t confirm that report, but he provided some wiggle room:
” … The assumption that high-ranking league executives will continue to receive a salary during a lockout is not necessarily accurate,” Daly said.
For Fehr, it’s a common strategy.
Johnston reports that Fehr hasn’t been paid since July 1 and didn’t collect money when the MLB went on strike.
“It’s both a measure of solidarity and uniformity of interest,” Fehr said. “You want the players to understand you’re in the same boat they are — you don’t have interests different than they do. We think it’s important.”
Going a step further, CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio wonders about team-by-team executives.
so if NHL and NHLPA execs are declining salaries, what about club execs throughout the league?—
Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) September 06, 2012
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 6
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)