Sep 6, 2012, 7:54 PM EST
Chris Johnston of The Canadian Press reports that top NHL and NHLPA execs Gary Bettman, Bill Daly and Donald Fehr won’t collect checks during a lockout.
Johnston points out that it’s a change of pace from the NHL side, as Bettman and Daly were paid during the 2004-05 work stoppage.
Daly didn’t confirm that report, but he provided some wiggle room:
” … The assumption that high-ranking league executives will continue to receive a salary during a lockout is not necessarily accurate,” Daly said.
For Fehr, it’s a common strategy.
Johnston reports that Fehr hasn’t been paid since July 1 and didn’t collect money when the MLB went on strike.
“It’s both a measure of solidarity and uniformity of interest,” Fehr said. “You want the players to understand you’re in the same boat they are — you don’t have interests different than they do. We think it’s important.”
Going a step further, CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio wonders about team-by-team executives.
so if NHL and NHLPA execs are declining salaries, what about club execs throughout the league?—
Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) September 06, 2012
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)