Sep 5, 2012, 1:44 PM EDT
The New York Post has learned that the NHL wants a “management rights” clause in its new collective bargaining agreement with the NHLPA.
According to the Post, the clause would give the league “unilateral power over issues including realignment, scheduling and playoff format.”
You’ll recall in early January when the union refused to approve the NHL’s drastic realignment plan. Under the soon-to-be-former CBA rules, the NHLPA couldn’t “unreasonably” withhold their consent to a change like that.
Just one problem: it wasn’t written anywhere what constituted the unreasonable withholding of consent. (Presumably that would be left to an arbitrator to decide.)
Ultimately the NHL decided to put realignment on hold, but it did accuse the union of acting unreasonably.
Thus, the league’s reported desire to have “unilateral power over issues including realignment, scheduling and playoff format.”
If the report is accurate, expect the PA to argue that such a clause doesn’t exactly constitute a partnership.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 67
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)