Sep 5, 2012, 1:44 PM EDT
The New York Post has learned that the NHL wants a “management rights” clause in its new collective bargaining agreement with the NHLPA.
According to the Post, the clause would give the league “unilateral power over issues including realignment, scheduling and playoff format.”
You’ll recall in early January when the union refused to approve the NHL’s drastic realignment plan. Under the soon-to-be-former CBA rules, the NHLPA couldn’t “unreasonably” withhold their consent to a change like that.
Just one problem: it wasn’t written anywhere what constituted the unreasonable withholding of consent. (Presumably that would be left to an arbitrator to decide.)
Ultimately the NHL decided to put realignment on hold, but it did accuse the union of acting unreasonably.
Thus, the league’s reported desire to have “unilateral power over issues including realignment, scheduling and playoff format.”
If the report is accurate, expect the PA to argue that such a clause doesn’t exactly constitute a partnership.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 36
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (38)