Sep 5, 2012, 10:59 AM EDT
Plenty of chatter about the Phoenix Coyotes on the series of tubes:
Late Tuesday, ESPN reported that prospective buyer Greg Jamison had secured the financing that would allow him to close on the $170 million purchase. (This would seem to confirm last week’s article in the Arizona Republic that actually quoted Jamison as saying, “We have the funds together.”)
Also according to ESPN (and Phoenix Business Journal), Ice Edge Holdings is among Jamison’s investors.
Ice Edge, of course, tried to buy the club out of bankruptcy before the NHL purchased it in 2009. The same plucky group made an attempt to purchase the Coyotes from the league in 2010.
The fly in the ointment – oh yes, there’s always a fly in the ointment – could be the City of Glendale’s desire to tweak the 20-year, $324 million lease at Jobing.com Arena with Jamison and company.
Phoenix Business Journal reports that Jamison isn’t keen on any changes to deal, but the “city is skittish over the fate of a $125 million, five-year sales tax increase that could be reversed” by voters in November.
That sale tax increase is intended in part to fund the arena-management fee. If it’s reversed, the city’s got a problem.
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 0
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 6
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 27
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)