Sep 5, 2012, 10:59 AM EST
Plenty of chatter about the Phoenix Coyotes on the series of tubes:
Late Tuesday, ESPN reported that prospective buyer Greg Jamison had secured the financing that would allow him to close on the $170 million purchase. (This would seem to confirm last week’s article in the Arizona Republic that actually quoted Jamison as saying, “We have the funds together.”)
Also according to ESPN (and Phoenix Business Journal), Ice Edge Holdings is among Jamison’s investors.
Ice Edge, of course, tried to buy the club out of bankruptcy before the NHL purchased it in 2009. The same plucky group made an attempt to purchase the Coyotes from the league in 2010.
The fly in the ointment – oh yes, there’s always a fly in the ointment – could be the City of Glendale’s desire to tweak the 20-year, $324 million lease at Jobing.com Arena with Jamison and company.
Phoenix Business Journal reports that Jamison isn’t keen on any changes to deal, but the “city is skittish over the fate of a $125 million, five-year sales tax increase that could be reversed” by voters in November.
That sale tax increase is intended in part to fund the arena-management fee. If it’s reversed, the city’s got a problem.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 20
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)