Sep 5, 2012, 9:40 PM EDT
Aaron Portzline reports that Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson extended a one-year, $4.2 million offer to Jagr, who eventually accepted a bit more ($4.5 million) with Dallas.
Portzline points out someone who would have a “heavy hand” in bringing in Jagr: new CBJ adviser Craig Patrick drafted him as the Pittsburgh Penguins GM.
Jagr told Randy Miller that he almost felt like Patrick viewed him as “his kid” back when he asked to be traded from Pittsburgh.
“He drafted me. I felt like I was his kid or something,” Jagr said. “I think it would be tough for him to trade me if I didn’t come to him and say it.”
So there’s a fun “What if?” scenario for you.
The Blue Jackets did draft Jakub Voracek – aka “Jagr Jr.” – so it would have been an odd full circle moment.
Instead, Sergei Fedorov remains arguably the strangest Blue Jacket yet.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 0
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 40
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 73
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks