Sep 5, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
In fact, it seems like he agrees with what he believes was Neuvirth’s point.
“He texted me and apologized, but it was blown up too big,” Holtby said. “I have known Michal for a long time and I know what he was trying to say, and I believe it’s the right thing when you figure he had a guy drafted in front of him [Semyon Varlamov], to an NHL veteran [Tomas Vokoun] in front of him, to a guy [Holtby] who is younger than him. So I understand what he was trying to say and I don’t blame him one bit.”
(He almost even dropped a “Michal being Michal” line later in the story, by the way.)
The Washington Capitals are indeed making a gamble on two relatively unproven netminders after parting ways with Vokoun after an up-and-down season.
Holtby has 21 career regular season games and 14 postseason contests on his NHL resume while has played in 108 regular season contests but just nine playoff games.
Combine that inexperience with the likelihood that new head coach Adam Oates will allow the Caps to take more chances offensively (read: not spend the whole game blocking shots) and both goalies might just run the risk of getting “blown up” frequently next season.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 0
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)