Sep 5, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
In fact, it seems like he agrees with what he believes was Neuvirth’s point.
“He texted me and apologized, but it was blown up too big,” Holtby said. “I have known Michal for a long time and I know what he was trying to say, and I believe it’s the right thing when you figure he had a guy drafted in front of him [Semyon Varlamov], to an NHL veteran [Tomas Vokoun] in front of him, to a guy [Holtby] who is younger than him. So I understand what he was trying to say and I don’t blame him one bit.”
(He almost even dropped a “Michal being Michal” line later in the story, by the way.)
The Washington Capitals are indeed making a gamble on two relatively unproven netminders after parting ways with Vokoun after an up-and-down season.
Holtby has 21 career regular season games and 14 postseason contests on his NHL resume while has played in 108 regular season contests but just nine playoff games.
Combine that inexperience with the likelihood that new head coach Adam Oates will allow the Caps to take more chances offensively (read: not spend the whole game blocking shots) and both goalies might just run the risk of getting “blown up” frequently next season.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)