Sep 5, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
In fact, it seems like he agrees with what he believes was Neuvirth’s point.
“He texted me and apologized, but it was blown up too big,” Holtby said. “I have known Michal for a long time and I know what he was trying to say, and I believe it’s the right thing when you figure he had a guy drafted in front of him [Semyon Varlamov], to an NHL veteran [Tomas Vokoun] in front of him, to a guy [Holtby] who is younger than him. So I understand what he was trying to say and I don’t blame him one bit.”
(He almost even dropped a “Michal being Michal” line later in the story, by the way.)
The Washington Capitals are indeed making a gamble on two relatively unproven netminders after parting ways with Vokoun after an up-and-down season.
Holtby has 21 career regular season games and 14 postseason contests on his NHL resume while has played in 108 regular season contests but just nine playoff games.
Combine that inexperience with the likelihood that new head coach Adam Oates will allow the Caps to take more chances offensively (read: not spend the whole game blocking shots) and both goalies might just run the risk of getting “blown up” frequently next season.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 4
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)