Sep 4, 2012, 5:05 PM EDT
Despite posting record revenues, the NHL has lost approximately $240 million over the last two seasons, a league source tells RDS’s Renaud Lavoie.
The NHL has faced a considerable, if not impossible, PR challenge during the latest CBA negotiations. How, many have wondered, can the owners be demanding concessions from the players following a season that saw the league crowing that business has never been better?
The NHL painted a much bleaker picture ahead of the 2004-05 lockout, going so far as to commission a report from former SEC chairman Arthur Levitt that showed a $273 million loss during the 2002-03 season.
The NBA painted a similarly bleak picture prior to last season’s lockout, claiming the league was losing upwards of $300 million per season.
Of course, now that the NHL has played the “we’re losing money” card, it’s also opened itself up to the “maybe if you didn’t have a team in Phoenix” rebuttal.
After all, not all business losses can be chalked up to paying the employees too much.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 41
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)