Sep 4, 2012, 6:25 PM EST
Jimmy Murphy caught up with three unnamed players who have a “growing feeling” that a Nov. 23 Boston Bruins-New York Rangers game will kick off the 2012-13 season.
(Their phrase: the feeling is that the league “circled” the date.)
That contest would kick off NBC’s slate of nationally televised NHL games, drawing an informal nickname as the “Black Friday” game.
One of the anonymous players promoted the NHLPA’s resolve to Murphy.
“We’re ready for that or anything,” the player said. “Not folding this time.”
Kicking off a shortened season during a holiday weekend would echo the NBA’s own lockout from last year.
As you may remember, the basketball league came to a late agreement that kicked off its 66-game schedule on Christmas Day in 2011. This forced the NBA to wedge training camp and the entire free agent period into a small window of time before its season started.
The NHL would likely need to give teams time to tweak or trim their budgets and hold abbreviated training camps if the “Black Friday” game does indeed kick off the season.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 7
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)