Sep 4, 2012, 4:11 PM EDT
“It’s not fair for us,” Ovechkin said, as per CSNWashington.com. “They still make money. They still sell tickets and they have money. Why they sign us to long-term deals and that kind of money and when the CBA is done they want to cut our salary? Why do they want to cut 20 percent?
“If they’re going to cut a percentage of the contracts and years, I don’t think lots of guys who sign American deals are going to come back and play here. It’s not reasonable to be here. You have to think of your future. You have to think of your family.”
While the NHL’s latest proposal doesn’t include a salary rollback, the players argue they’d still lose money due to increased escrow payments.
“From a players’ standpoint,” union head Donald Fehr said recently, “it doesn’t make much difference. If the player doesn’t get the dollar value of his contract because of a roll back in the contract, or whether he doesn’t get an amount because there’s escrow, he still doesn’t get it. It amounts to the same thing.”
With $88 million still left to be paid out on Ovechkin’s $124 million contract, it’s not surprising he’s prepared to fight.
“Of course it’s going to be hard [if there’s a lockout,” said Ovechkin, “and of course it’s going to be a long time to wait. But it is what it is. Everybody wants to play hockey and make money. Nobody wants to play for free.”
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 15
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 98
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 27
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 34
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)