Sep 4, 2012, 4:11 PM EST
“It’s not fair for us,” Ovechkin said, as per CSNWashington.com. “They still make money. They still sell tickets and they have money. Why they sign us to long-term deals and that kind of money and when the CBA is done they want to cut our salary? Why do they want to cut 20 percent?
“If they’re going to cut a percentage of the contracts and years, I don’t think lots of guys who sign American deals are going to come back and play here. It’s not reasonable to be here. You have to think of your future. You have to think of your family.”
While the NHL’s latest proposal doesn’t include a salary rollback, the players argue they’d still lose money due to increased escrow payments.
“From a players’ standpoint,” union head Donald Fehr said recently, “it doesn’t make much difference. If the player doesn’t get the dollar value of his contract because of a roll back in the contract, or whether he doesn’t get an amount because there’s escrow, he still doesn’t get it. It amounts to the same thing.”
With $88 million still left to be paid out on Ovechkin’s $124 million contract, it’s not surprising he’s prepared to fight.
“Of course it’s going to be hard [if there’s a lockout,” said Ovechkin, “and of course it’s going to be a long time to wait. But it is what it is. Everybody wants to play hockey and make money. Nobody wants to play for free.”
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 0
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 2
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)