No CBA talks today…and none planned for the future

Sep 4, 2012, 11:07 AM EST

NHL and NHLPA logo

With the Sept. 15 expiration of the current CBA looming, it doesn’t appear the NHL and NHLPA will be meeting today.

Nor, for that matter, are there any future meetings planned.

That’s not to say there’s no communication between the two sides whatsoever (perhaps Gary Bettman and Donald Fehr are chatting on messenger as we speak), but formal talks remain “recessed.”

The NHL and NHLPA last met Friday. (It did not go well.)

According to TSN’s Aaron Ward, the following week will see the NHL’s Board of Governors descend on New York City for meetings, at which point the players’ union will also be in town.

Rumble in Central Park?

Related: Dreger: Real negotiating won’t start until or around Sept. 10

1. tmoore4075 - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:10 AM

There better be a season. Three lockouts in 18 years? Nice job boys.

• jaybertx - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM

That AND 4-6 year deals is what is being reported. REALLY?! And do this all over again after a handful of seasons? :-P

2. mgp1219 - Sep 4, 2012 at 12:21 PM

The owners suck! Enough said.

3. bensawesomeness - Sep 4, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I decided yesterday, to vow, for every 1 day of lockout the NHL has, is 1 year where i will buy no NHL merchandise or tickets.

While this is a sport that i love more than anything, and nothing can stop me from rooting on my team, i can always vocalize my opinions and back it up with my wallet.

My main problem’s going to be if there’s like a 30, 40 day lockout…

4. sjsharks66 - Sep 4, 2012 at 1:03 PM

What a surprise. They don’t care about us door mats. They don’t care about the jobs hockey seasons give. They just care about making millions of dollars more than they already make. It makes me sick.

5. jimw81 - Sep 4, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Players should decertified as union sue the owners. They have a solid case. The owners haven’t been acting in good faith since day one.

• tealwithit - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:19 PM

They have a solid case? In what way?
      The CBA is expiring… The owners and players both held up their end of the last agreement, and now both sides are free to make whatever demands they please – At least as far as any judge would be concerned.

6. colby010 - Sep 4, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I agree with benswesomeness, dont buy any of there merchanize(probably made in china). I am a diehard as well. Players and owners trying to make a buck.
    BETTMAN has always been an ASS but know his asshole is just getting bigger. only commissioner that gets booed at a games

7. id4joey - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:44 PM

We fans must Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike!

8. ccurrie92 - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:29 PM

The NHL needs to get rid of Gary Bettman

9. jquinsr - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:35 PM

As a fan I am disappointed with yet another lockout. In this economy I have better things to waste my hard earned money on. Owners and players better wake up and realize there are other sports and activities we could be doing instead. I have yet to go back to baseball after they locked out I simply just lost interest and refuse to go back. They better figure this out quick or I will turn my back on overpaid millionaires arguing over more money and the one sport I thought I loved but I realize now the only sport I really love is whatever my kids play. They risk losing a lot more than just money they risk losing their fan base if they don’t stop acting like prima donnas.

Eakins on his way out of Edmonton?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches