Sep 4, 2012, 12:26 PM EDT
All these years later, Alan Eagleson is still making headlines. The former executive director of the NHLPA (a position now held by Donald Fehr) is being forced to mark the 40th anniversary of his greatest triumph, the 1972 Summit Series, at home alone.
The ’72 series made him a household name. And then, two decades later, came his dizzying fall – dozens of charges of embezzlement, fraud, racketeering and professional misconduct. He pleaded guilty to reduced charges in 1998 and spent six months in Mimico medium-security prison. Considering some accusations involved skimming pension and disability benefits for retired players, it’s little surprise some don’t want him at the party.
According to Mirtle, the “some” that don’t want him at the party are Phil Esposito, Brad Park, and Dennis Hull.
The rest, including Bobby Clarke, think the 79-year-old deserves an invite.
“This pissing around with Eagleson, that to me just broke the team,” Clarke said. “You don’t do what they’re doing to a team member. That’s not my version of a team. The majority of players feel the way I do, but these two guys have threatened to destroy the team. … Eagleson is part of that team, maybe the biggest part of anybody.”
It’s a tough situation. Sort of like the debate over whether Pete Rose belongs in the Hall of Fame. Does the good outweigh the bad? Has a high enough price already been paid?
Anyway, here’s an interview with Eagleson halfway through the ’72 Series and shortly after Vancouver fans booed Team Canada in Game 4.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 3
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)