Sep 3, 2012, 8:10 PM EDT
Everyone in the hockey community is aware that the CBA negotiations stalled on Friday. The current agreement between the players and owners is set to expire on Sept. 15 and the threat of a lockout is very real.
Still, all those involved in making the NHL what it is need to proceed as if the season will start on time, including Wild head coach Mike Yeo.
“I’m doing my best to just put all that stuff aside,” Yeo said, according to the Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune. “If they get things worked out and we have training camp, I don’t want to be caught saying, ‘Oh boy, I thought there was going to be a lockout.’
“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little bit worried. With the expectations that we have, with the excitement that we have coming out of this summer [in which the Wild signed Zach Parise and Ryan Suter] … it would definitely be disappointing.”
Parise and Suter agreed to matching 13-year, $98 million contracts with the Wild over the summer. The question now is if those additions are enough to propel the Wild after they missed the playoffs by 14 points last season.
Hopefully we’ll begin to discover the answer to that question sooner rather than later, but whenever the season starts, the new and improved Minnesota Wild will get a lot of attention.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)