Sep 3, 2012, 2:12 PM EST
The two have been dating since 2008, so it’s understandable if you thought they might have already done so.
Cuthbert reportedly used the word “happily” four times in a Tweet to announce the news.
The couple invited about 40 friends to a surprise engagement party on Sunday.
In case you’re keeping score, Phaneuf is 27 and Cuthbert is 29.
Their most famous moment came when Sean Avery made a crass comment about the couple, which earned him a six-game suspension from the NHL.
Phaneuf gets the last laugh it seems, as their relationship has already outlasted Avery’s hockey career. (Barring a comeback.)
So, where does Phaneuf-Cuthbert rank among hockey power couples now that they’re married? Should “Mr. Underwood” sweat it?
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 13
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)