Sep 3, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT
The two have been dating since 2008, so it’s understandable if you thought they might have already done so.
Cuthbert reportedly used the word “happily” four times in a Tweet to announce the news.
The couple invited about 40 friends to a surprise engagement party on Sunday.
In case you’re keeping score, Phaneuf is 27 and Cuthbert is 29.
Their most famous moment came when Sean Avery made a crass comment about the couple, which earned him a six-game suspension from the NHL.
Phaneuf gets the last laugh it seems, as their relationship has already outlasted Avery’s hockey career. (Barring a comeback.)
So, where does Phaneuf-Cuthbert rank among hockey power couples now that they’re married? Should “Mr. Underwood” sweat it?
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)