Sep 3, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT
The two have been dating since 2008, so it’s understandable if you thought they might have already done so.
Cuthbert reportedly used the word “happily” four times in a Tweet to announce the news.
The couple invited about 40 friends to a surprise engagement party on Sunday.
In case you’re keeping score, Phaneuf is 27 and Cuthbert is 29.
Their most famous moment came when Sean Avery made a crass comment about the couple, which earned him a six-game suspension from the NHL.
Phaneuf gets the last laugh it seems, as their relationship has already outlasted Avery’s hockey career. (Barring a comeback.)
So, where does Phaneuf-Cuthbert rank among hockey power couples now that they’re married? Should “Mr. Underwood” sweat it?
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 14
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 23
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15