Sep 3, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT
The two have been dating since 2008, so it’s understandable if you thought they might have already done so.
Cuthbert reportedly used the word “happily” four times in a Tweet to announce the news.
The couple invited about 40 friends to a surprise engagement party on Sunday.
In case you’re keeping score, Phaneuf is 27 and Cuthbert is 29.
Their most famous moment came when Sean Avery made a crass comment about the couple, which earned him a six-game suspension from the NHL.
Phaneuf gets the last laugh it seems, as their relationship has already outlasted Avery’s hockey career. (Barring a comeback.)
So, where does Phaneuf-Cuthbert rank among hockey power couples now that they’re married? Should “Mr. Underwood” sweat it?
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 31
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 52
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 25
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 24
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (77)