Sep 3, 2012, 5:20 PM EDT
We’ve mentioned before that contracts like Jordan Eberle‘s recently signed six-year, $36 million extension are likely to impact the negotiations of restricted free agent Jamie Benn. However, Allan Muir of Sports Illustrated thinks there might be another big factor: the owners’ CBA demands.
It looks like owners will want players signed to existing contracts to take some form of a pay cut. That might weigh on Benn as his agent and the Dallas Stars discuss his next contract.
It would be an interesting turn of events if that’s the case, because there’s been suggestions that other players have signed before the CBA’s expiration in case the rules regarding long-term contracts change.
For example, Eberle’s current deal would not have been allowed under the terms of the owner’s original offer. If Benn wants a contract that’s longer than five years, then he might be motivated to sign before the Sept. 15 expiration.
On the other hand, if Benn and the Dallas Stars are looking at a more short-term deal, then he might simply wait until there’s a new CBA to sign. As Muir points out, the Dallas Stars will not want to start the season without one of their top, young players, especially if their fanbase has already been forced to endure a lockout before the 2012-13 campaign finally gets underway.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 38
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 34
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 30
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (39)