Sep 3, 2012, 5:20 PM EDT
We’ve mentioned before that contracts like Jordan Eberle‘s recently signed six-year, $36 million extension are likely to impact the negotiations of restricted free agent Jamie Benn. However, Allan Muir of Sports Illustrated thinks there might be another big factor: the owners’ CBA demands.
It looks like owners will want players signed to existing contracts to take some form of a pay cut. That might weigh on Benn as his agent and the Dallas Stars discuss his next contract.
It would be an interesting turn of events if that’s the case, because there’s been suggestions that other players have signed before the CBA’s expiration in case the rules regarding long-term contracts change.
For example, Eberle’s current deal would not have been allowed under the terms of the owner’s original offer. If Benn wants a contract that’s longer than five years, then he might be motivated to sign before the Sept. 15 expiration.
On the other hand, if Benn and the Dallas Stars are looking at a more short-term deal, then he might simply wait until there’s a new CBA to sign. As Muir points out, the Dallas Stars will not want to start the season without one of their top, young players, especially if their fanbase has already been forced to endure a lockout before the 2012-13 campaign finally gets underway.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)