Sep 3, 2012, 5:20 PM EDT
We’ve mentioned before that contracts like Jordan Eberle‘s recently signed six-year, $36 million extension are likely to impact the negotiations of restricted free agent Jamie Benn. However, Allan Muir of Sports Illustrated thinks there might be another big factor: the owners’ CBA demands.
It looks like owners will want players signed to existing contracts to take some form of a pay cut. That might weigh on Benn as his agent and the Dallas Stars discuss his next contract.
It would be an interesting turn of events if that’s the case, because there’s been suggestions that other players have signed before the CBA’s expiration in case the rules regarding long-term contracts change.
For example, Eberle’s current deal would not have been allowed under the terms of the owner’s original offer. If Benn wants a contract that’s longer than five years, then he might be motivated to sign before the Sept. 15 expiration.
On the other hand, if Benn and the Dallas Stars are looking at a more short-term deal, then he might simply wait until there’s a new CBA to sign. As Muir points out, the Dallas Stars will not want to start the season without one of their top, young players, especially if their fanbase has already been forced to endure a lockout before the 2012-13 campaign finally gets underway.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 66
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 41
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 31
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 20
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 55
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)