Sep 3, 2012, 4:50 PM EDT
As the Phoenix Coyotes’ ownership situation drags on, head coach Dave Tippett told Sarah McLellan that the team’s remaining moves come down to trying to re-sign Shane Doan.
“We hope to settle Doan,” Tippett said. “That would be the one big one, obviously. Other than that, I don’t foresee any other moves before camp.”
McLellan discusses the fact that the Coyotes weren’t in a position to add more offensive firepower, instead making minor moves (including crossing their fingers that Steve Sullivan can replace Ray Whitney).
On the other hand, McLellan praised Phoenix’s defensive tweaks. She believes that Zbynek Michalek‘s return and the team’s “bundle of youth” will make for an even better blueline next season.
“Our defense is going to be a big part of our team, and that’s been a real strength of ours,” Tippett said.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 42
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)