Sep 3, 2012, 4:50 PM EDT
As the Phoenix Coyotes’ ownership situation drags on, head coach Dave Tippett told Sarah McLellan that the team’s remaining moves come down to trying to re-sign Shane Doan.
“We hope to settle Doan,” Tippett said. “That would be the one big one, obviously. Other than that, I don’t foresee any other moves before camp.”
McLellan discusses the fact that the Coyotes weren’t in a position to add more offensive firepower, instead making minor moves (including crossing their fingers that Steve Sullivan can replace Ray Whitney).
On the other hand, McLellan praised Phoenix’s defensive tweaks. She believes that Zbynek Michalek‘s return and the team’s “bundle of youth” will make for an even better blueline next season.
“Our defense is going to be a big part of our team, and that’s been a real strength of ours,” Tippett said.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 20
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 5
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 9
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)