Sep 3, 2012, 11:02 PM EST
At this point, you’ve probably heard over and over again that the CBA negotiations stalled on Friday.
We don’t know if there will be a lockout or if the season will start on time. However, as CBC recently pointed out, when hockey does resume, several players will be gunning for noteworthy milestones.
Take Miikka Kiprusoff for example. As CBC reported, the Calgary Flames goaltender is just one game shy of 600 and six shutouts away from 50. Kiprusoff has recorded 10 shutouts over the last two campaigns, so reaching that mark in 2012-13 isn’t out of the realm of possibilities if the start of the NHL season isn’t delayed. Tomas Vokoun and Nikolai Khabibulin are also closing in on the 50 shutout mark.
Meanwhile Alex Tanguay needs just three more assists to reach the 500-mark.
Those feats are worthy of celebration, but they’re not the only major statistical accomplishments that we could see in 2012-13. In additions to the ones from CBC’s list, here’s a few others to watch out for:
- Jaromir Jagr is 47 points shy of 1,700. Only seven players in the history of the NHL have ever reached that mark.
- Roman Hamrlik needs to play in 21 more contests to reach the 1,400 mark. Jagr and Teemu Selanne are 54 and 59 games shy respectively of the same milestone.
- In terms of the all-time goals list, Jagr has 665 and Selanne has 663. They’re within striking distance of the 10th place Luc Robitaille (668), ninth place Mario Lemieux (690), eighth place Steve Yzerman (692), and seventh place Mark Messier (694).
- Patrick Marleau is 13 goals away from becoming the 88th member of the 400-goals club.
- Jagr is just 12 assists away from becoming the 12th player to record 1,000 helpers.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)