Sep 3, 2012, 11:02 PM EDT
At this point, you’ve probably heard over and over again that the CBA negotiations stalled on Friday.
We don’t know if there will be a lockout or if the season will start on time. However, as CBC recently pointed out, when hockey does resume, several players will be gunning for noteworthy milestones.
Take Miikka Kiprusoff for example. As CBC reported, the Calgary Flames goaltender is just one game shy of 600 and six shutouts away from 50. Kiprusoff has recorded 10 shutouts over the last two campaigns, so reaching that mark in 2012-13 isn’t out of the realm of possibilities if the start of the NHL season isn’t delayed. Tomas Vokoun and Nikolai Khabibulin are also closing in on the 50 shutout mark.
Meanwhile Alex Tanguay needs just three more assists to reach the 500-mark.
Those feats are worthy of celebration, but they’re not the only major statistical accomplishments that we could see in 2012-13. In additions to the ones from CBC’s list, here’s a few others to watch out for:
- Jaromir Jagr is 47 points shy of 1,700. Only seven players in the history of the NHL have ever reached that mark.
- Roman Hamrlik needs to play in 21 more contests to reach the 1,400 mark. Jagr and Teemu Selanne are 54 and 59 games shy respectively of the same milestone.
- In terms of the all-time goals list, Jagr has 665 and Selanne has 663. They’re within striking distance of the 10th place Luc Robitaille (668), ninth place Mario Lemieux (690), eighth place Steve Yzerman (692), and seventh place Mark Messier (694).
- Patrick Marleau is 13 goals away from becoming the 88th member of the 400-goals club.
- Jagr is just 12 assists away from becoming the 12th player to record 1,000 helpers.
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 18
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 46
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 1
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control