Sep 3, 2012, 11:02 PM EDT
At this point, you’ve probably heard over and over again that the CBA negotiations stalled on Friday.
We don’t know if there will be a lockout or if the season will start on time. However, as CBC recently pointed out, when hockey does resume, several players will be gunning for noteworthy milestones.
Take Miikka Kiprusoff for example. As CBC reported, the Calgary Flames goaltender is just one game shy of 600 and six shutouts away from 50. Kiprusoff has recorded 10 shutouts over the last two campaigns, so reaching that mark in 2012-13 isn’t out of the realm of possibilities if the start of the NHL season isn’t delayed. Tomas Vokoun and Nikolai Khabibulin are also closing in on the 50 shutout mark.
Meanwhile Alex Tanguay needs just three more assists to reach the 500-mark.
Those feats are worthy of celebration, but they’re not the only major statistical accomplishments that we could see in 2012-13. In additions to the ones from CBC’s list, here’s a few others to watch out for:
- Jaromir Jagr is 47 points shy of 1,700. Only seven players in the history of the NHL have ever reached that mark.
- Roman Hamrlik needs to play in 21 more contests to reach the 1,400 mark. Jagr and Teemu Selanne are 54 and 59 games shy respectively of the same milestone.
- In terms of the all-time goals list, Jagr has 665 and Selanne has 663. They’re within striking distance of the 10th place Luc Robitaille (668), ninth place Mario Lemieux (690), eighth place Steve Yzerman (692), and seventh place Mark Messier (694).
- Patrick Marleau is 13 goals away from becoming the 88th member of the 400-goals club.
- Jagr is just 12 assists away from becoming the 12th player to record 1,000 helpers.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 12
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 21
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 32
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)