Sep 2, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Over the past week, we’ve heard a lot about the ongoing CBA negotiations, but there hasn’t been much chatter when it comes to free agent signings or trades.
“It’s eerily quiet,” said a league executive last week, according to an Ottawa Sun article by Bruce Garrioch.
To be fair, there have been some noteworthy re-signings recently, like Jordan Eberle‘s six-year/$36 million deal, but it’s possible that those are being agreed to because the next CBA might limit long-term contracts. When it comes to handling the final moves necessary to make their teams ready for 2012-13, GMs seem to be largely inactive.
“This is just like 2004: We got to July 15 and basically nothing was done,” a high-profile agent told the Ottawa Sun. “It has pretty much gone the same way this year. You haven’t really see anything, with the exception of some contract extensions.”
Part of the problem might be that GMs can’t really prepare their teams for the 2012-13 campaign if they don’t even know what the rules will be. Several teams might be under the floor or over the cap depending on what the next CBA looks like. With that in mind, players that teams might otherwise be interested in acquiring, like Roberto Luongo, are stuck in limbo.
When the players’ union and NHL finally agree to terms, GMs will know where they stand and they’ll likely move swiftly to make any necessary adjustments.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)