Sep 2, 2012, 3:44 PM EDT
HARBORcenter Development, LLC, which is a development company affiliated with the Buffalo Sabres, has been selected as the preferred developer of the Webster Block, according to the Sabres’ official website. Their $123 million downtown Buffalo project will lead to the construction of, among other things, two new ice rinks.
“We are proud to be named the preferred developer of the Webster Block,” said Sabres owner Terry Pegula. “This project will further enhance the current development at Canalside and in the process, create a destination attraction to draw hundreds of thousands of people to Buffalo’s waterfront on a yearly basis.”
The city also considered another “excellent and competitive” proposal, before ultimately selecting HARBORcenter Development. The alternate proposal was a $64 million plan that would have led to the construction of office space and apartments. Both proposals included plans for a hotel and retail space.
Under HARBORcenter Development’s plan, an estimated 350 full-time jobs will be created.
“In the end, the Selection Committee recommended the project it believed would be best for the City of Buffalo, and selected HARBORcenter Development and the Buffalo Sabres,” said Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown.
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 12
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 13
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 18
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 68
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 100
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (100)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger