Sep 2, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
Mark Messier and 2002 Winter Olympic gold medalist in figure skating Sarah Hughes are among those throwing their support behind constructing a massive hockey and ice-skating complex in the Bronx, according to the Riverdale Press.
Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. thinks this plan will “realize the potential” of the vacant Kingsbridge Armory. It would involve the creation of 50,000 square feet of community space as well as nine indoor and an outdoor rink.
The complex would also have an educational program, which Messier hopes will provide youths with leadership skills. It will draw inspiration from the Ed Snider Youth Hockey Foundation.
“That’s what interested me about this project, lending our hand to the kids in the community, using hockey as a metaphor for life, and providing these kids with skills for life, that no matter what they do, no matter where they go, they can take these lessons with them,” Messier said.
As NHL.com’s Brian Compton pointed out, the Bronx is scheduled to see the opening of its first public skating rink this fall.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)