Sep 2, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
Mark Messier and 2002 Winter Olympic gold medalist in figure skating Sarah Hughes are among those throwing their support behind constructing a massive hockey and ice-skating complex in the Bronx, according to the Riverdale Press.
Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. thinks this plan will “realize the potential” of the vacant Kingsbridge Armory. It would involve the creation of 50,000 square feet of community space as well as nine indoor and an outdoor rink.
The complex would also have an educational program, which Messier hopes will provide youths with leadership skills. It will draw inspiration from the Ed Snider Youth Hockey Foundation.
“That’s what interested me about this project, lending our hand to the kids in the community, using hockey as a metaphor for life, and providing these kids with skills for life, that no matter what they do, no matter where they go, they can take these lessons with them,” Messier said.
As NHL.com’s Brian Compton pointed out, the Bronx is scheduled to see the opening of its first public skating rink this fall.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)