Sep 2, 2012, 11:25 PM EST
Leadership isn’t something that’s measured in box scores, yet writers and fans exalt players who seem to lead by example.
NHL.com’s John Kreiser received an interesting assignment in that regard, as he tabbed the 10 greatest captains in the history of the sport.
Most probably saw the top choice coming like a famous guarantee:
1. Mark Messier
Of all the great leaders in NHL history, only one has an award named for him. That would be Messier, whose Mark Messier Leadership Award is presented each year to recognize a player who’s a superior leader on his team on and off the ice.
Steve Yzerman came in second place while two active players made the list.
Shane Doan rolled in and No. 10 while Sidney Crosby took the seventh spot. Phoenix’s ownership nightmare earned Doan bonus points:
The unsettled ownership situation hasn’t kept the Coyotes from making the Stanley Cup Playoffs in each of the past three seasons — they made the Western Conference Finals last spring — despite a shifting roster and the inability to keep big-ticket players. Doan, who assumed the captaincy in 2003, has become the face of the franchise off the ice while keeping his teammates focused on the task at hand on-ice.
Some might say the most memorable (or at least public) moment of Crosby’s captaincy came when he couldn’t play.
Which players stand out as the greatest leaders in your mind?
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)