Sep 2, 2012, 6:41 PM EDT
Eberle is just one year younger than Benn and is in a comparable spot as far as his importance to the franchise goes; while Taylor Hall is certainly a major factor as well, Eberle’s two-way ability and offensive dynamism is much more in line with what Jamie Benn brings to the Stars. The numbers are somewhat comparable as well, although Eberle’s point total was higher last season.
Benn is a restricted free agent still in need of a new deal.
At 23, he’s a few years away from unrestricted free agency, but still has strong leverage after coming off an All-Star season.
One key difference between Benn and Eberle is that there isn’t anyone making Taylor Hall-type money ($6 million per year) in Dallas.
The Stars’ biggest cap hit is currently Alex Goligoski‘s $4.6 million, so Benn could end up being the team’s highest-paid player.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (96)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)