Sep 2, 2012, 6:41 PM EST
Eberle is just one year younger than Benn and is in a comparable spot as far as his importance to the franchise goes; while Taylor Hall is certainly a major factor as well, Eberle’s two-way ability and offensive dynamism is much more in line with what Jamie Benn brings to the Stars. The numbers are somewhat comparable as well, although Eberle’s point total was higher last season.
Benn is a restricted free agent still in need of a new deal.
At 23, he’s a few years away from unrestricted free agency, but still has strong leverage after coming off an All-Star season.
One key difference between Benn and Eberle is that there isn’t anyone making Taylor Hall-type money ($6 million per year) in Dallas.
The Stars’ biggest cap hit is currently Alex Goligoski‘s $4.6 million, so Benn could end up being the team’s highest-paid player.
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 18
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 0
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)