Sep 2, 2012, 6:41 PM EST
Eberle is just one year younger than Benn and is in a comparable spot as far as his importance to the franchise goes; while Taylor Hall is certainly a major factor as well, Eberle’s two-way ability and offensive dynamism is much more in line with what Jamie Benn brings to the Stars. The numbers are somewhat comparable as well, although Eberle’s point total was higher last season.
Benn is a restricted free agent still in need of a new deal.
At 23, he’s a few years away from unrestricted free agency, but still has strong leverage after coming off an All-Star season.
One key difference between Benn and Eberle is that there isn’t anyone making Taylor Hall-type money ($6 million per year) in Dallas.
The Stars’ biggest cap hit is currently Alex Goligoski‘s $4.6 million, so Benn could end up being the team’s highest-paid player.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4