Sep 1, 2012, 2:25 PM EDT
We always get a good response when we write about the NHL possibly moving to Seattle, so I thought I’d pass along the news, via KING 5, that Chris Hansen (the hedge-fund manager, not the “have a seat” guy) has purchased the final parcel of real estate he says he needs to build a new arena in the city.
Hansen’s first priority is bringing the NBA back to Seattle. He’d own the basketball team, but he’d also like to attract an NHL franchise as a second tenant for the new building.
There’s still a long way to go before construction can begin. First, City Council has to approve the $490 million arena, then Hansen has to go out and get a basketball team. (The Sacramento Kings remain the most likely to relocate, but if they do, it won’t necessarily be to Seattle.)
Despite all the hurdles that lie ahead, the fact Hansen and his investors have reportedly sunk almost $49 million into purchasing land for the new arena shows confidence that construction will start at some point. And once there’s a new arena, there’s potential for an NHL team to move in.
At this point, we’d like to turn your attention to the ongoing plight of the Phoenix Coyotes.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 7
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 10
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 18
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)