Sep 1, 2012, 2:25 PM EDT
We always get a good response when we write about the NHL possibly moving to Seattle, so I thought I’d pass along the news, via KING 5, that Chris Hansen (the hedge-fund manager, not the “have a seat” guy) has purchased the final parcel of real estate he says he needs to build a new arena in the city.
Hansen’s first priority is bringing the NBA back to Seattle. He’d own the basketball team, but he’d also like to attract an NHL franchise as a second tenant for the new building.
There’s still a long way to go before construction can begin. First, City Council has to approve the $490 million arena, then Hansen has to go out and get a basketball team. (The Sacramento Kings remain the most likely to relocate, but if they do, it won’t necessarily be to Seattle.)
Despite all the hurdles that lie ahead, the fact Hansen and his investors have reportedly sunk almost $49 million into purchasing land for the new arena shows confidence that construction will start at some point. And once there’s a new arena, there’s potential for an NHL team to move in.
At this point, we’d like to turn your attention to the ongoing plight of the Phoenix Coyotes.
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 15
- Everything happens: Ovechkin nails Tavares, Isles score 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)