Sep 1, 2012, 2:25 PM EDT
We always get a good response when we write about the NHL possibly moving to Seattle, so I thought I’d pass along the news, via KING 5, that Chris Hansen (the hedge-fund manager, not the “have a seat” guy) has purchased the final parcel of real estate he says he needs to build a new arena in the city.
Hansen’s first priority is bringing the NBA back to Seattle. He’d own the basketball team, but he’d also like to attract an NHL franchise as a second tenant for the new building.
There’s still a long way to go before construction can begin. First, City Council has to approve the $490 million arena, then Hansen has to go out and get a basketball team. (The Sacramento Kings remain the most likely to relocate, but if they do, it won’t necessarily be to Seattle.)
Despite all the hurdles that lie ahead, the fact Hansen and his investors have reportedly sunk almost $49 million into purchasing land for the new arena shows confidence that construction will start at some point. And once there’s a new arena, there’s potential for an NHL team to move in.
At this point, we’d like to turn your attention to the ongoing plight of the Phoenix Coyotes.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)