Sep 1, 2012, 2:25 PM EST
We always get a good response when we write about the NHL possibly moving to Seattle, so I thought I’d pass along the news, via KING 5, that Chris Hansen (the hedge-fund manager, not the “have a seat” guy) has purchased the final parcel of real estate he says he needs to build a new arena in the city.
Hansen’s first priority is bringing the NBA back to Seattle. He’d own the basketball team, but he’d also like to attract an NHL franchise as a second tenant for the new building.
There’s still a long way to go before construction can begin. First, City Council has to approve the $490 million arena, then Hansen has to go out and get a basketball team. (The Sacramento Kings remain the most likely to relocate, but if they do, it won’t necessarily be to Seattle.)
Despite all the hurdles that lie ahead, the fact Hansen and his investors have reportedly sunk almost $49 million into purchasing land for the new arena shows confidence that construction will start at some point. And once there’s a new arena, there’s potential for an NHL team to move in.
At this point, we’d like to turn your attention to the ongoing plight of the Phoenix Coyotes.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 54
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)