Seattle investor has all the land he needs to build a new arena

Sep 1, 2012, 2:25 PM EDT

Seattle Getty Images

We always get a good response when we write about the NHL possibly moving to Seattle, so I thought I’d pass along the news, via KING 5, that Chris Hansen (the hedge-fund manager, not the “have a seat” guy) has purchased the final parcel of real estate he says he needs to build a new arena in the city.

Hansen’s first priority is bringing the NBA back to Seattle. He’d own the basketball team, but he’d also like to attract an NHL franchise as a second tenant for the new building.

There’s still a long way to go before construction can begin. First, City Council has to approve the $490 million arena, then Hansen has to go out and get a basketball team. (The Sacramento Kings remain the most likely to relocate, but if they do, it won’t necessarily be to Seattle.)

Despite all the hurdles that lie ahead, the fact Hansen and his investors have reportedly sunk almost $49 million into purchasing land for the new arena shows confidence that construction will start at some point. And once there’s a new arena, there’s potential for an NHL team to move in.

At this point, we’d like to turn your attention to the ongoing plight of the Phoenix Coyotes.

1. bcsteele - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I never like talking about a team relocating because I would dread it happening to mine. But if Phoenix can’t get things resolved…this would be a PERFECT home for them.

Bring on the dislikes because I know ‘Yotes fans don’t want their team to go anywhere and I don’t either. I’m just saying.

• creack1 - Sep 1, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I know that relocating a team is bad, and so does Seattle, its happened to them already, thats why Im hoping that the relocated team ends up being a team that wont be leaving a city empty, a team like the New York Islanders or an LA team. I understand that in citys, people like one team and hate the other, but Im sure that if their team was to leave then they would be able to flock to the other team. Phoenix is the most likely option, but not the best in my opinion.

2. zachfelchesryan - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Ther’s two kinds of people in Seattle: Tech geeks & Meth heads

Neither of which are hockey fans

• freneticgarfieldfan - Sep 1, 2012 at 4:19 PM

yeah, you don’t have to look no further than to San Jose to see your comment is a total fail.
      Think before you troll.

3. rushledger - Sep 1, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Last comment was hilarious!

4. id4joey - Sep 1, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Send the Phoenix franchise to Quebec City. No wait! Send the Avalanche back to Quebec, put Roy behind the bench, his son in nets, and send Phoenix to Colorado. Yeah!

5. pastabelly - Sep 1, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Two new teams for one city makes no sense.

• greatminnesotasportsmind - Sep 2, 2012 at 3:45 AM

Well they wouldn’t be new teams, just new to the area.

6. pantherpro - Sep 2, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Seattle would be a great NHL city. They draw well for boring soccer and make a lot of noise during those dull ass soccer games. imagine v the noise for an exciting sport like the NHL!! The NBA is a bore,too!

7. stairwayto7 - Sep 3, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Move or contract Tampa, Florida SanJose, Dallas, Nashville, Columbus and Carolina! Keep Phoenix so fans of away teams can see their teams play!

8. massconn72 - Sep 3, 2012 at 6:54 AM

I know Seattle is not NYC, and because of that I have to wonder if there really is enough money in the area to support three professional teams? I’ve sen it before that fans will pick one favorite and then a second team but three is just too much to ask. And with the outlandish salaries that are being given, somebody has to pay.

Caps' 'culture change' proving positive