Sep 1, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
On Thursday, we asked you if you thought public opinion mattered when it came to the ongoing CBA negotiations. A staggering 89% of you don’t think it does and some of the evidence might support your assertion.
As Sportsnet recently pointed out, attendance actually went up following the previous two NHL lockouts. The gains were relatively modest in the lockout-shortened 1994-95 campaign, but after losing the entire 2004-05 season, the NHL enjoyed a 2.4% increase in attendance in 2005-06.
According to the Toronto Star, ticket revenues totaled $1.2 billion in 2010-11, which should highlight just how important ticket sales are to the NHL’s success.
Of course, it’s hard to say if fans will respond to a 2012-13 lockout the same way. As Sportsnet notes, the rule changes following the loss of the 2004-05 season led to an increase in scoring and the post-lockout era marked the start of Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin‘s NHL careers. Both players enjoyed explosive rookie seasons and quickly became household names.
Pittsburgh in particular saw a big boost after the lockout and enjoyed a league-leading 33.06% increase in attendance compared to 2003-04.
So the question now is if the NHL will enjoy a similar bounce back if there’s another lockout or if this time things will be different. Hopefully, that’s one question we’ll never find out the answer to because hopefully there won’t be a lockout.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)