Sep 1, 2012, 9:50 PM EDT
Top-tier Wild prospect Mikael Granlund is going to work towards making the transition from Finland’s SM-liiga to North American hockey in 2012-13. As the Pioneer Press reported, that won’t change even if there’s a lockout.
While other players — or the agents who represent them — have suggested recently that they would consider playing in Europe in the event of a lockout, Granlund isn’t one of them.
“There’s basically nothing left to accomplish there,” Granlund’s agent, Todd Diamond said. Granlund had 20 goals and 51 points in 45 games with HIFK Helsinki.
Diamond added, “By playing in Houston, (Granlund) would be getting used to the American style of play and the size of the rink, which is larger in Europe. If there is no (labor) agreement, he would be better off in Houston.”
Granlund, who was born in Oulu, Finland, was originally selected with the ninth overall pick in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. Assuming the players and owners agree to a new CBA in time, Granlund could be part of the Wild’s opening game roster on Oct. 13.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 0
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 7
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)