Aug 31, 2012, 3:20 PM EDT
Our congratulations to Detroit GM Ken Holland. The man knows a bargain when he sees one.
According to Businessweek, the Red Wings have been the “smartest spenders” in the NHL over the past five seasons.
Counting all four major leagues (NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB), the smartest-spending franchise is the Tampa Bay Rays.
The ranking is based on payroll per wins, with bonuses for “wins above .500, playoff wins, and championships.”
In their Super Bowl winning season in 2011, for instance, the New York Giants got credit for 9 regular season wins, plus a .5 game bonus for their ninth win—the one that put them above .500. Their 4 playoff wins earned them 6.4 more wins. And the Super Bowl victory 8 more, for a total of 23.9 “weighted” wins.
We’re not sure why “wins above .500” get bonus points (a regular-season win is a regular-season win, no?), but here are the full NHL rankings anyway:
5. San Jose
6. Los Angeles
11. New Jersey
14. NY Rangers
17. Tampa Bay
19. St. Louis
21. NY Islanders
Again, the above ranking comprises the last five seasons. So to be fair to Brian Burke, he’s only just heading into his fifth season as Leafs general manager. I believe they call it “setting the table.” They’ll probably win the Stanley Cup next year.
PS — The worst spending of all 122 major-league teams are the St. Louis Rams.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)