Aug 31, 2012, 3:20 PM EST
Our congratulations to Detroit GM Ken Holland. The man knows a bargain when he sees one.
According to Businessweek, the Red Wings have been the “smartest spenders” in the NHL over the past five seasons.
Counting all four major leagues (NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB), the smartest-spending franchise is the Tampa Bay Rays.
The ranking is based on payroll per wins, with bonuses for “wins above .500, playoff wins, and championships.”
In their Super Bowl winning season in 2011, for instance, the New York Giants got credit for 9 regular season wins, plus a .5 game bonus for their ninth win—the one that put them above .500. Their 4 playoff wins earned them 6.4 more wins. And the Super Bowl victory 8 more, for a total of 23.9 “weighted” wins.
We’re not sure why “wins above .500” get bonus points (a regular-season win is a regular-season win, no?), but here are the full NHL rankings anyway:
5. San Jose
6. Los Angeles
11. New Jersey
14. NY Rangers
17. Tampa Bay
19. St. Louis
21. NY Islanders
Again, the above ranking comprises the last five seasons. So to be fair to Brian Burke, he’s only just heading into his fifth season as Leafs general manager. I believe they call it “setting the table.” They’ll probably win the Stanley Cup next year.
PS — The worst spending of all 122 major-league teams are the St. Louis Rams.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 11
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 28
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)