Aug 31, 2012, 3:20 PM EDT
Our congratulations to Detroit GM Ken Holland. The man knows a bargain when he sees one.
According to Businessweek, the Red Wings have been the “smartest spenders” in the NHL over the past five seasons.
Counting all four major leagues (NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB), the smartest-spending franchise is the Tampa Bay Rays.
The ranking is based on payroll per wins, with bonuses for “wins above .500, playoff wins, and championships.”
In their Super Bowl winning season in 2011, for instance, the New York Giants got credit for 9 regular season wins, plus a .5 game bonus for their ninth win—the one that put them above .500. Their 4 playoff wins earned them 6.4 more wins. And the Super Bowl victory 8 more, for a total of 23.9 “weighted” wins.
We’re not sure why “wins above .500” get bonus points (a regular-season win is a regular-season win, no?), but here are the full NHL rankings anyway:
5. San Jose
6. Los Angeles
11. New Jersey
14. NY Rangers
17. Tampa Bay
19. St. Louis
21. NY Islanders
Again, the above ranking comprises the last five seasons. So to be fair to Brian Burke, he’s only just heading into his fifth season as Leafs general manager. I believe they call it “setting the table.” They’ll probably win the Stanley Cup next year.
PS — The worst spending of all 122 major-league teams are the St. Louis Rams.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)