NHL, NHLPA no closer to agreement after Friday meeting, no plans to meet again

Aug 31, 2012, 3:46 PM EDT

Bettman and Fehr Getty Images

Today’s CBA negotiations in New York City between the NHL and NHLPA resulted in little, if any, progress.

In fact, they may have only served to ratchet up the rhetoric between the two sides.

According to union chief Donald Fehr, the players’ counter-proposal that was presented to the owners “did not bear fruit” and that “at this point, the talks are recessed.”

When recess will be over is unclear. The current agreement expires on Sept. 15, after which the league has said it will lock out the players.

“What I thought was a promising week ended with disappointment,” said NHL commissioner Gary Bettman.

Bettman accused the NHLPA of focusing too much on revenue sharing instead of what the owners are paying out to the players.

Another point of contention is the length of the CBA. The NHL wants a six-year deal; the NHLPA wants four, with the fourth year snapping back to the current split of 57 percent of revenue going to the players.

Fehr said he’d be willing to reconvene talks over the weekend and that it was the owners that cut off today’s meeting.

However, Bettman denied it was the owners who recessed the meetings and said the league was “stonewalled” by the union today.

Bettman also said a deal will be harder to make once the CBA expires and that there “doesn’t seem to be a rush” from the union to reach an agreement.

“I wish I had better news everybody,” said Bettman. “Have a good day.”

1. bcsteele - Aug 31, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Good job guys. This is forward progress…guess my fantasy league will be running off of NHL 13.

• bcsteele - Aug 31, 2012 at 4:15 PM

On a more serious note…Bettman probably wanted his holiday weekend and cut the talks short. Also, I’m so ready for the owners and players to realize that a portion of my middle class salary…not the super rich…pays for every edition of EA sports NHL for Xbox, multiple games that I go to every year, and NHL center ice…

Maybe I should stop spending money…

2. barkar942 - Aug 31, 2012 at 3:55 PM

GET A DEAL DONE!
    WE, THE FANS, WILL NOT TOLERATE ANOTHER WORK STOPPAGE!
    WHO ELSE ON THIS BOARD IS WITH ME?
    REPLY AND BE COUNTED!

• norseman81 - Aug 31, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I wont tolerate it but I also have to be honest. I will watch if it and when it comes back. Although, I wont care too much during the fall because of football.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 31, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I’ve been a fan all my life. If the owners cause the season to be shortened by even 5 minutes they will never get another cent from me.

• mpg44 - Aug 31, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Hardcore fan here for over twenty years … Survived two work stoppages so far , not silly to tolerate another!! If they can get it done , I will be done!! “f ” them both!!

• nothanksimdriving123 - Aug 31, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I’m Canadian-born and a fan since going to my first Stanley Cup playoff game in 1962. Seriously. But with this contract nonsense that will mostly hurt low-paid stadium workers, and the tedium of so many of last spring’s playoff games, I’m starting to not care if there is a season at all. Lot’s of other things to do.

3. norseman81 - Aug 31, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Way to go!!! This is so embarrassing. If you are not playing hockey by the 21st then I guess I will just have to wait. :( The problem is they know that the real fans will watch but, the bigger issue is that the NHL is still on the bottom of the totem pole and if they go away even for a month it will kill any momentum gained from the last 7 years! Get yourselves together and find a way to make deal for the good of the game!

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 31, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I don’t think thats necessarily true. The diehard fans will watch, but my guess is those Americans who have been won over since the last lockout will be just fine with watching basketball and football instead.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 31, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I guess I should have actually read your comment before I posted the exact same thing in reply.

4. jimw81 - Aug 31, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Why are people outrage?? Gary and owners planned this day one. Gary hasn’t given one good bit of advice to owners since he took the job besides expanding into cities that dont deserve hockey teams. I really begin to question if bettman cares about the game of hockey.

The only thing fans and posters can do at this point is twit every nhl club on twitter or call them to get a deal done or CANCEL YOUR SEASON TICKETS. I stop going to games after lockout #2 and got the center ice package. after this lockout is over im done. Sad thing is that Gary going to be looking for a doormat after the dust settles.

BTW, Good luck to preds finding $27 million to give to weber!

• scottielewks - Aug 31, 2012 at 5:13 PM

would def cancel my NYR season tickets next year, problem is they have already been renewed for this year and I’m sure many others are in the same boat.

5. miketoasty - Aug 31, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I like how Bettman tried to throw in that Fehr and the union were the ones who cut the meetings short, you already lost the PR battle Bettman, just get us a deal and maybe we can try and hate you a little less when we are watching you hand off the Stanley Cup this June.

6. revansrevenant - Aug 31, 2012 at 4:52 PM

The players union is right to focus on revenue sharing, it is actually a solution to the problem. Cutting the players percentage of the gross income might work temporarily, but by the time the next CBA is ready to be negotiated I have little doubt the owners would be singing the same song about how they are losing money and how they need to cut the players salary to cut cost. And so on and so on, through every CBA from now until probably forever, or somebody grows a brain stem.

There are only two solutions: Effective revenue sharing, or reduce the league to sixteen teams. Cutting player salaries is like putting a wad of gauze on a gunshot wound; it will work for a period of time, but eventually you have to address the underlying problem.

7. xaf605 - Aug 31, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Canceled my season tickets today piss on em

• superross - Aug 31, 2012 at 10:47 PM

You are the man! (woman!)? We live in difficult times!

8. xaf605 - Aug 31, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Good luck to the wild trying to pay parise and suter

9. sabatimus - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Lawyer vs Lawyer. This could be another year.

10. keeganbattistoni - Aug 31, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Bettman sucks

11. mrpigs - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Get it done or we are done!

-NHL (ranger) fan

12. cspsrbums - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Bettman you can give us better news and tell us you are quoting

13. cspsrbums - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:33 AM

(Sorry for last comment I hit the wrong letter) ” I am quitting would be better news from Bettman

14. aventador12 - Sep 1, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Game. Over. Apparently, at this rate, little-to-nothing has pretty much been done to resolve this. I guess I may have to start my own negotiations and cancel my season tickets for this season. This is just a load of sheer-BS’!

15. zebsunset - Sep 1, 2012 at 7:13 PM

If the NHL locks out this year again I will NEVER attend, watch or support an NHL affiliated team ever again. End of story, the selfishness of some causes THOUSANDS to lose jobs, entertainment, and their lives. The NHL should be boycotted, then it would put the players and owners out of jobs. Put together a league than can get their $h*t in one sock…..

16. jmoose3 - Sep 2, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Get this deal done. THEN KICK BETTMAN TO THE FREAKING CURB!!!!

Worst team in the NHL?