Aug 31, 2012, 3:46 PM EDT
Today’s CBA negotiations in New York City between the NHL and NHLPA resulted in little, if any, progress.
In fact, they may have only served to ratchet up the rhetoric between the two sides.
When recess will be over is unclear. The current agreement expires on Sept. 15, after which the league has said it will lock out the players.
“What I thought was a promising week ended with disappointment,” said NHL commissioner Gary Bettman.
Bettman accused the NHLPA of focusing too much on revenue sharing instead of what the owners are paying out to the players.
Another point of contention is the length of the CBA. The NHL wants a six-year deal; the NHLPA wants four, with the fourth year snapping back to the current split of 57 percent of revenue going to the players.
However, Bettman denied it was the owners who recessed the meetings and said the league was “stonewalled” by the union today.
Bettman also said a deal will be harder to make once the CBA expires and that there “doesn’t seem to be a rush” from the union to reach an agreement.
“I wish I had better news everybody,” said Bettman. “Have a good day.”
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 7
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 11
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 39
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 62
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)