Aug 31, 2012, 3:46 PM EDT
Today’s CBA negotiations in New York City between the NHL and NHLPA resulted in little, if any, progress.
In fact, they may have only served to ratchet up the rhetoric between the two sides.
When recess will be over is unclear. The current agreement expires on Sept. 15, after which the league has said it will lock out the players.
“What I thought was a promising week ended with disappointment,” said NHL commissioner Gary Bettman.
Bettman accused the NHLPA of focusing too much on revenue sharing instead of what the owners are paying out to the players.
Another point of contention is the length of the CBA. The NHL wants a six-year deal; the NHLPA wants four, with the fourth year snapping back to the current split of 57 percent of revenue going to the players.
However, Bettman denied it was the owners who recessed the meetings and said the league was “stonewalled” by the union today.
Bettman also said a deal will be harder to make once the CBA expires and that there “doesn’t seem to be a rush” from the union to reach an agreement.
“I wish I had better news everybody,” said Bettman. “Have a good day.”
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 0
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 25
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)