Aug 31, 2012, 3:46 PM EDT
Today’s CBA negotiations in New York City between the NHL and NHLPA resulted in little, if any, progress.
In fact, they may have only served to ratchet up the rhetoric between the two sides.
When recess will be over is unclear. The current agreement expires on Sept. 15, after which the league has said it will lock out the players.
“What I thought was a promising week ended with disappointment,” said NHL commissioner Gary Bettman.
Bettman accused the NHLPA of focusing too much on revenue sharing instead of what the owners are paying out to the players.
Another point of contention is the length of the CBA. The NHL wants a six-year deal; the NHLPA wants four, with the fourth year snapping back to the current split of 57 percent of revenue going to the players.
However, Bettman denied it was the owners who recessed the meetings and said the league was “stonewalled” by the union today.
Bettman also said a deal will be harder to make once the CBA expires and that there “doesn’t seem to be a rush” from the union to reach an agreement.
“I wish I had better news everybody,” said Bettman. “Have a good day.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)