Aug 31, 2012, 2:30 PM EST
“What the hell did you trade Cody Hodgson for? He had 19 goals and 22 assists last year. He’s got a rocket for a shot. YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU’RE DOING!”– Frank Costanza, if he were a Canucks fan, to Mike Gillis
In response, Vancouver’s GM would list a couple of reasons, including Hodgson’s desire to be moved and the fact the player that came over from Buffalo in the deadline deal, Zack Kassian, was exactly the kind the Canucks had been looking for. Specifically, a big, young power forward that could develop into a top-six winger, a la Milan Lucic.
At least, that what was the hope.
But when Vancouver was eliminated by the Kings in the fifth game of the first round, Kassian was in the press box as a healthy scratch.
That the Canucks managed just eight goals in those five games made Gillis’s position even tougher to defend. Surely they could have used Hodgson’s play-making ability.
Kassian, 21, knows what people have been saying.
“I still have a sour taste left in my mouth not playing in the last game,” he said Thursday, as per The Province. “I remember those things and I want to prove myself. You’re mad and upset, but at the same time you know if you’re not playing good someone else is going to come in. It’s in the back of my mind and makes me hungry.”
According to The Province, Kassian – the 13th overall pick by the Sabres in 2009 – has been put through an “offseason regimen that focused on nutrition, speed and quickness.”
Based on the timidity he displayed last spring, they might also want to put him through an offseason regimen that focuses on punching stuff.
“This is a great spot for me and it’s time for me to prove it,” said Kassian. “It’s an opportunity. Last year was my first pro season and there are a lot of ups and downs. It’s unbelievable here. Any time you play in a Canadian city — and especially Vancouver — it’s crazy. In Buffalo, there is good hockey and good fans but this is a whole different level. That’s fun to be around but you’ve got to do your job and do it every night or you’re going to get criticized.
“I’ve got to be consistent. That separates the good players from the average.”
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 46
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)