Aug 31, 2012, 1:45 PM EST
Jeff Halpern has already made the majority of the money he’ll make in his NHL career. The 36-year-old is set to earn $700,000 next season with the New York Rangers. Only two years ago, he was coming off a four-year, $8 million deal.
But despite his veteran status, Halpern’s still looking out for the young guys as the owners and NHLPA attempt to negotiate a new CBA.
“It’s more than [revenue] percentages on the line,” Halpern told CSNWashington.com. “It’s setting the table for players down the road. We’re trying to find something that works without completely giving in. At some point, labor unions have to make a stand and that’s where we are right now.”
Halpern points out that the current CBA negotiations aren’t like the last ones that resulted in the cancellation of the 2004-05 season and, ultimately, the introduction of a salary cap.
“We had a system before the [2004-05] lockout that was pretty advantageous to the players and we gave up pretty much everything that we stood for,” Halpern said. “Before that we had an open market system.
“We went into a salary cap system that the league wanted and the union isn’t arguing anymore. The major fights and disagreements from the last CBA are gone. Now it’s arguing over who gets how much of the pie, basically, and defining exactly how much that revenue is.”
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 3
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 14
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 31
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 5
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 69
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 64
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 32
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)