Aug 31, 2012, 12:41 PM EST
Which would you prefer – a 50 percent split of one pie, or a 43 percent split of a slightly larger pie?
Answer: depends how much bigger the second pie is, right?
That’s essentially what’s happening in the NHL when it comes to hockey-related revenue (HRR). The NHL and NHLPA can’t seem to agree on what size of pie they’re trying to split up.
Hockey Night in Canada’s Elliotte Friedman highlights four changes the owners would like to make to the current formula. The first involves limits on “cost of doing business” deductions, the second the cost of selling luxury suites, the third receiving credit for stadium upgrades, and the fourth closing the loophole that allows teams to gain cap relief by sending players on one-way contracts (e.g. Wade Redden) to the minors.
Cue everyone fuming at the owners for trying to close a loophole that THEY EXPLOIT.
Anyway, it probably makes sense to define the size of the pie the two sides are fighting over before the fighting starts.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 19
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)