Aug 31, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
It’s easy to read the news today and get frustrated by what’s happening. After all, Friday’s meeting doesn’t seem to have brought us any closer to a new CBA and we don’t even know when the next meeting will be.
As Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review put it, “Sides cannot even agree on who recessed talks … Telling.”
We’re a matter of hours away from September and that means we have a little over two weeks before the current CBA expires. Still, those hoping for an 82-game schedule shouldn’t throw in the towel yet.
“As ominous as things may seem,” TSN’s Darren Dreger tweeted, “the real negotiating won’t start for either the NHL or PA until or around Sept 10.”
Dreger is a well-regarded and prominent insider, so it’s worth listening when he has something to say.
Perhaps things will get done once we get into crunch time. At the very least, there’s still a chance that something will get done, even if the news today has been less than encouraging.
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 0
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 15
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 98
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 27
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)