Aug 31, 2012, 5:10 PM EST
It’s easy to read the news today and get frustrated by what’s happening. After all, Friday’s meeting doesn’t seem to have brought us any closer to a new CBA and we don’t even know when the next meeting will be.
As Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review put it, “Sides cannot even agree on who recessed talks … Telling.”
We’re a matter of hours away from September and that means we have a little over two weeks before the current CBA expires. Still, those hoping for an 82-game schedule shouldn’t throw in the towel yet.
“As ominous as things may seem,” TSN’s Darren Dreger tweeted, “the real negotiating won’t start for either the NHL or PA until or around Sept 10.”
Dreger is a well-regarded and prominent insider, so it’s worth listening when he has something to say.
Perhaps things will get done once we get into crunch time. At the very least, there’s still a chance that something will get done, even if the news today has been less than encouraging.
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 1
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 50
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)