Aug 30, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
For the second offseason in a row, the Florida Panthers are rolling the dice with a talented Colorado Avalanche forward whose career has been ravaged by injuries.
It worked out splendidly with Tomas Fleischmann, and if health indeed is the big issue for Peter Mueller, he seemed confident in overcoming that when speaking to Harvey Fialkov.
“It’s 100 percent behind me. I tell people all the time I haven’t felt this clear since my first year which is awesome,” Mueller said. “I feel great on the ice and in the weight room, just in overall health, I feel a lot better than what I’m used to to, so that’s exciting and encouraging … In some aspects I’m like a rookie again.”
Rookie year-type numbers would be music to Florida’s ears.
Mueller’s inaugural year was by far his best, scoring 22 goals and 54 points in 81 games during that 2007-08 campaign.
“I want to play 82 games. I want to contribute,’’ Mueller said. “There’s no doubt I can [match my rookie output]. If I’m in the lineup I’m confident in my abilities and I’m confident that I can help this team win and I’m confident I can make other people better.”
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 13
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 42
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 33
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)