Aug 30, 2012, 3:19 PM EST
Sidney Crosby’s agent, Pat Brisson, confirmed his client will consider playing in Europe if there’s an NHL work stoppage.
“If at one point there’s a lockout and the lockout goes long…Sidney wants to pay hockey,” Brisson told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Dave Molinari.
Now, obviously this isn’t the same as, say, Michal Neuvirth mulling a European odyssey. This is the NHL’s biggest star we’re talking about here.
Of course, Malkin also said that Crosby wouldn’t consider that option until after Christmas, at which point the NHL and NHLPA may have already resolved their dispute.
Frankly, I’d be surprised – no, shocked – if we see Crosby skating in the KHL anytime soon. Mostly because I’m a cockeyed optimist
who got himself mixed up in the high stakes game of world diplomacy and international intrigue that doesn’t see a lockout going past Christmas, but also because the risk of suffering another serious concussion while playing in Russia – or anywhere in Europe, really – seems like a risk that’s not worth taking.
Not to mention, Crosby doesn’t need the money and it’s not like he has a bunch of friends and family over there.
Pretty cold in Russia, too.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 19
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)