Aug 30, 2012, 3:19 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby’s agent, Pat Brisson, confirmed his client will consider playing in Europe if there’s an NHL work stoppage.
“If at one point there’s a lockout and the lockout goes long…Sidney wants to pay hockey,” Brisson told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Dave Molinari.
Now, obviously this isn’t the same as, say, Michal Neuvirth mulling a European odyssey. This is the NHL’s biggest star we’re talking about here.
Of course, Malkin also said that Crosby wouldn’t consider that option until after Christmas, at which point the NHL and NHLPA may have already resolved their dispute.
Frankly, I’d be surprised – no, shocked – if we see Crosby skating in the KHL anytime soon. Mostly because I’m a cockeyed optimist
who got himself mixed up in the high stakes game of world diplomacy and international intrigue that doesn’t see a lockout going past Christmas, but also because the risk of suffering another serious concussion while playing in Russia – or anywhere in Europe, really – seems like a risk that’s not worth taking.
Not to mention, Crosby doesn’t need the money and it’s not like he has a bunch of friends and family over there.
Pretty cold in Russia, too.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 28
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 52
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 24
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 87
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)