Aug 30, 2012, 3:19 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby’s agent, Pat Brisson, confirmed his client will consider playing in Europe if there’s an NHL work stoppage.
“If at one point there’s a lockout and the lockout goes long…Sidney wants to pay hockey,” Brisson told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Dave Molinari.
Now, obviously this isn’t the same as, say, Michal Neuvirth mulling a European odyssey. This is the NHL’s biggest star we’re talking about here.
Of course, Malkin also said that Crosby wouldn’t consider that option until after Christmas, at which point the NHL and NHLPA may have already resolved their dispute.
Frankly, I’d be surprised – no, shocked – if we see Crosby skating in the KHL anytime soon. Mostly because I’m a cockeyed optimist
who got himself mixed up in the high stakes game of world diplomacy and international intrigue that doesn’t see a lockout going past Christmas, but also because the risk of suffering another serious concussion while playing in Russia – or anywhere in Europe, really – seems like a risk that’s not worth taking.
Not to mention, Crosby doesn’t need the money and it’s not like he has a bunch of friends and family over there.
Pretty cold in Russia, too.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 35
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 25
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)