Aug 30, 2012, 3:19 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby’s agent, Pat Brisson, confirmed his client will consider playing in Europe if there’s an NHL work stoppage.
“If at one point there’s a lockout and the lockout goes long…Sidney wants to pay hockey,” Brisson told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Dave Molinari.
Now, obviously this isn’t the same as, say, Michal Neuvirth mulling a European odyssey. This is the NHL’s biggest star we’re talking about here.
Of course, Malkin also said that Crosby wouldn’t consider that option until after Christmas, at which point the NHL and NHLPA may have already resolved their dispute.
Frankly, I’d be surprised – no, shocked – if we see Crosby skating in the KHL anytime soon. Mostly because I’m a cockeyed optimist
who got himself mixed up in the high stakes game of world diplomacy and international intrigue that doesn’t see a lockout going past Christmas, but also because the risk of suffering another serious concussion while playing in Russia – or anywhere in Europe, really – seems like a risk that’s not worth taking.
Not to mention, Crosby doesn’t need the money and it’s not like he has a bunch of friends and family over there.
Pretty cold in Russia, too.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 26
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)