Aug 30, 2012, 7:32 PM EDT
Gary Bettman’s right-hand man Bill Daly discussed the owners’ latest proposal with the media, expressing some optimism about a deal getting done.
ESPN’s Katie Strang collected some of Daly’s quotes, including additional use of the buzzword “meaningful.”
“We’re hopeful that it’s a meaningful proposal that we can continue to make progress from,” Daly said. “We feel like we made a good step in that direction earlier this week and we hope that they would take a step forward as well.”
Players such as Manny Malhotra questioned just how “meaningful” that proposal really was, though.
With all the discussions about terminology and semantics in mind, Daly promoted the league’s flexibility.
“We’re not married to the structure,” Daly said. “If it’s a good proposal and it takes a different route, we’re open to that.”
Daly acknowledged that “the clock is ticking” with September rapidly approaching.
“I would say the positive thing is that both parties are committed if there are reasons to meet, to continue to move forward, to meet as often as it takes to get it done,” Daly said. “But obviously every day that goes by, it’s less and less likely that we’ll be able to come to closure on all the issues we need to come to closure on.”
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 2
- In praise of John Tavares 11
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 20
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36