Aug 30, 2012, 7:32 PM EDT
Gary Bettman’s right-hand man Bill Daly discussed the owners’ latest proposal with the media, expressing some optimism about a deal getting done.
ESPN’s Katie Strang collected some of Daly’s quotes, including additional use of the buzzword “meaningful.”
“We’re hopeful that it’s a meaningful proposal that we can continue to make progress from,” Daly said. “We feel like we made a good step in that direction earlier this week and we hope that they would take a step forward as well.”
Players such as Manny Malhotra questioned just how “meaningful” that proposal really was, though.
With all the discussions about terminology and semantics in mind, Daly promoted the league’s flexibility.
“We’re not married to the structure,” Daly said. “If it’s a good proposal and it takes a different route, we’re open to that.”
Daly acknowledged that “the clock is ticking” with September rapidly approaching.
“I would say the positive thing is that both parties are committed if there are reasons to meet, to continue to move forward, to meet as often as it takes to get it done,” Daly said. “But obviously every day that goes by, it’s less and less likely that we’ll be able to come to closure on all the issues we need to come to closure on.”
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5