Aug 29, 2012, 10:59 PM EDT
While potential Phoenix Coyotes owner Greg Jamison seems primed to buy the team, the City of Glendale reportedly wants to “re-work [the] 20-year, $324 million deal,” according to Lisa Halverstadt.
Halverstadt breaks down the situation:
Glendale officials have repeatedly said that they were waiting for Jamison to hold up his end of the bargain — purchasing the team from the National Hockey League — after approving the Jobing.com Arena lease with him in June.
But Jamison’s efforts to buy the team were complicated by unexpected hurdles. There was an unsuccessful effort to ask Glendale residents to vote on the deal in a November referendum. There have also been concerns about an NHL lockout. Then the Arizona Court of Appeals ruled last week that a initiative with a goal of reversing a sales-tax hike expected to help Glendale cover its bills, including next year’s budgeted $17 million arena-management fee to Jamison, should appear on the November ballot. The city has since asked the state Supreme Court to weigh in on the latter matter.
The city reportedly wants Jamison to sign the deal before they look into possible “amendments.”
The recent setback with a “sales-tax initiative” might partially explain the holdup.
If the sales-tax initiative makes it to the ballot and is repealed by voters, the budget-strapped city could lose a $20 million funding stream.
Even with those headaches in mind, Jamison’s comments were diplomatic.
“I really respect Glendale’s council,” he said. “They’ve shown a lot of courage.”
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)