Aug 29, 2012, 10:59 PM EST
While potential Phoenix Coyotes owner Greg Jamison seems primed to buy the team, the City of Glendale reportedly wants to “re-work [the] 20-year, $324 million deal,” according to Lisa Halverstadt.
Halverstadt breaks down the situation:
Glendale officials have repeatedly said that they were waiting for Jamison to hold up his end of the bargain — purchasing the team from the National Hockey League — after approving the Jobing.com Arena lease with him in June.
But Jamison’s efforts to buy the team were complicated by unexpected hurdles. There was an unsuccessful effort to ask Glendale residents to vote on the deal in a November referendum. There have also been concerns about an NHL lockout. Then the Arizona Court of Appeals ruled last week that a initiative with a goal of reversing a sales-tax hike expected to help Glendale cover its bills, including next year’s budgeted $17 million arena-management fee to Jamison, should appear on the November ballot. The city has since asked the state Supreme Court to weigh in on the latter matter.
The city reportedly wants Jamison to sign the deal before they look into possible “amendments.”
The recent setback with a “sales-tax initiative” might partially explain the holdup.
If the sales-tax initiative makes it to the ballot and is repealed by voters, the budget-strapped city could lose a $20 million funding stream.
Even with those headaches in mind, Jamison’s comments were diplomatic.
“I really respect Glendale’s council,” he said. “They’ve shown a lot of courage.”
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 0
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 9
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 1
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 4
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)