Aug 29, 2012, 10:59 PM EDT
While potential Phoenix Coyotes owner Greg Jamison seems primed to buy the team, the City of Glendale reportedly wants to “re-work [the] 20-year, $324 million deal,” according to Lisa Halverstadt.
Halverstadt breaks down the situation:
Glendale officials have repeatedly said that they were waiting for Jamison to hold up his end of the bargain — purchasing the team from the National Hockey League — after approving the Jobing.com Arena lease with him in June.
But Jamison’s efforts to buy the team were complicated by unexpected hurdles. There was an unsuccessful effort to ask Glendale residents to vote on the deal in a November referendum. There have also been concerns about an NHL lockout. Then the Arizona Court of Appeals ruled last week that a initiative with a goal of reversing a sales-tax hike expected to help Glendale cover its bills, including next year’s budgeted $17 million arena-management fee to Jamison, should appear on the November ballot. The city has since asked the state Supreme Court to weigh in on the latter matter.
The city reportedly wants Jamison to sign the deal before they look into possible “amendments.”
The recent setback with a “sales-tax initiative” might partially explain the holdup.
If the sales-tax initiative makes it to the ballot and is repealed by voters, the budget-strapped city could lose a $20 million funding stream.
Even with those headaches in mind, Jamison’s comments were diplomatic.
“I really respect Glendale’s council,” he said. “They’ve shown a lot of courage.”
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)