Aug 29, 2012, 1:56 PM EST
Montreal won’t have Rene Bourque to kick around for up to the next three months.
The Habs announced Bourque underwent successful surgery to repair an abdominal wall tear and will be out 8-12 weeks. Bourque was injured while doing offseason exercises to prepare for the coming season.
If you want to take a semi-positive out of this for the Habs, a lockout could help limit the number of games he’ll miss. Of course the downside to that is a lockout means no hockey for anyone at all.
Bourque was acquired by the Canadiens last season from Calgary and scored just five goals with three assists in 38 games for Montreal. While with Calgary, he scored 13 goals in the same number of games. Whoops.
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 11
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 26
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 8
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 34
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)