Aug 29, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
Turns out Dominik Hasek isn’t the only old goalie looking to make an NHL comeback this season.
According to Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun, former Oilers/Flames/Blues/Blue Jackets goalie Fred Brathwaite wants to return to the NHL this season. At 39 years-old he’s not as old as Hasek, but his reasoning for getting one more shot makes a lot of sense.
“If nothing worked out (with a tryout), there was still wiggle room for me to go back to Europe. People are always getting hurt over there and people are never satisfied with their goaltending. Even just a tryout on my resume here would have opened up more doors for me in Europe.”
Brathwaite hasn’t played in the NHL since the 2003-04 season and since then has spent three years in the KHL, two in the AHL, and four more in the German pro league with Mannheim. He says the impending NHL lockout hurts his chances of landing a job in Europe as NHL goalies will want to play in Europe, thus costing him a shot at a job.
His numbers in Germany the last few seasons have been average, but like he says, he just wants a chance to show what he’s got.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 2
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 11
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)