Aug 29, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
Turns out Dominik Hasek isn’t the only old goalie looking to make an NHL comeback this season.
According to Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun, former Oilers/Flames/Blues/Blue Jackets goalie Fred Brathwaite wants to return to the NHL this season. At 39 years-old he’s not as old as Hasek, but his reasoning for getting one more shot makes a lot of sense.
“If nothing worked out (with a tryout), there was still wiggle room for me to go back to Europe. People are always getting hurt over there and people are never satisfied with their goaltending. Even just a tryout on my resume here would have opened up more doors for me in Europe.”
Brathwaite hasn’t played in the NHL since the 2003-04 season and since then has spent three years in the KHL, two in the AHL, and four more in the German pro league with Mannheim. He says the impending NHL lockout hurts his chances of landing a job in Europe as NHL goalies will want to play in Europe, thus costing him a shot at a job.
His numbers in Germany the last few seasons have been average, but like he says, he just wants a chance to show what he’s got.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 0
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 40
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 73
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks