Aug 29, 2012, 3:19 PM EDT
We haven’t really heard any real strong words from anyone on either side of this summer’s labor talks. That is until Zach Parise decided to speak his mind.
Parise spoke with Ben Goessling of the St. Paul Pioneer Press and says while the players are eager to get a deal done and play, he feels NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman has another aim entirely.
“I think the ’04-’05 season is still pretty fresh in everyone’s minds, and now we find ourselves in the same position,” Parise said after a workout in St. Louis Park on Tuesday, Aug. 26. “It’s not good for the game. It’s not good for anyone. We’re ready to play. We want to play. But (NHL commissioner) Gary (Bettman)’s pretty adamant about his third lockout of his tenure.”
There’s a lot of truth in what Parise is saying there, but you have to wonder what his logic is in trashing the league’s boss. To say Bettman is “adamant” about another lockout is stretching the truth.
That said, it’s clear there’s frustration with many players who are looking at possibly not playing and not getting paid starting on September 15. That gigantic new deal Parise (and Ryan Suter) signed with Minnesota might have something to do with that.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (37)