Aug 29, 2012, 12:59 PM EST
We’ve had a host of stories about players making plans in case the lockout stretches deep into what would be the regular season, but the league’s biggest star might be cooking up his own plans.
Pavel Lysenkov of Sovietsky Sport heard from Evgeni Malkin at a charity game in Russia and finds out Sidney Crosby could be bound for Russia if the NHL season is wiped out.
Also Malkin said – Crosby will not play in KHL in 2012. May be after Christmas if all NHL season cancelled.
Consider how ugly it would be for the NHL to have another season lost to a labor dispute. Two seasons in eight years wiped out because they can’t figure out their own system.
Then if you added Crosby, arguably the NHL’s biggest star, playing in the league that considers themselves the NHL’s main competition, that’s about as bad as PR can get.
That’s not to say that Crosby playing in Russia would legitimize the KHL, just that the NHL and NHLPA not being to get out of each other’s way would be costing North American fans a possible season of a healthy Crosby (and Malkin).
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)