Aug 29, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
We’ve had a host of stories about players making plans in case the lockout stretches deep into what would be the regular season, but the league’s biggest star might be cooking up his own plans.
Pavel Lysenkov of Sovietsky Sport heard from Evgeni Malkin at a charity game in Russia and finds out Sidney Crosby could be bound for Russia if the NHL season is wiped out.
Also Malkin said – Crosby will not play in KHL in 2012. May be after Christmas if all NHL season cancelled.
Consider how ugly it would be for the NHL to have another season lost to a labor dispute. Two seasons in eight years wiped out because they can’t figure out their own system.
Then if you added Crosby, arguably the NHL’s biggest star, playing in the league that considers themselves the NHL’s main competition, that’s about as bad as PR can get.
That’s not to say that Crosby playing in Russia would legitimize the KHL, just that the NHL and NHLPA not being to get out of each other’s way would be costing North American fans a possible season of a healthy Crosby (and Malkin).
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 7
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)