Aug 29, 2012, 6:01 PM EDT
Earlier today, PHT noted that the NHL and NHLPA are bickering over terminology in the latest CBA talks.
Recent reports indicate that along with arguing over the exact revenue pies they’re going to slice up, the two sides are also debating the merits of escrow vs. “salary rollbacks.”
Here’s a quick summary that attempts to keep your brain cells (reasonably) intact:
How it might work
Various sources including Renaud P. Lavoie report that the NHLPA is expecting a 15-20 percent escrow toll.
How it used to work
Travis Hughes points out that escrow maxed out at 12 percent in the expiring CBA, with an eight percent mark last season.
Hughes has Fehr’s full quote, where he argues that escrow and salary rollbacks aren’t all that different for players:
“From a players’ standpoint,” Fehr said, “it doesn’t make much difference. If the player doesn’t get the dollar value of his contract because of a roll back in the contract, or whether he doesn’t get an amount because there’s escrow, he still doesn’t get it. It amounts to the same thing.”
Michael Grange paraphrases Bettman’s counter-point.
Michael Grange (@michaelgrange) August 29, 2012
Expect some more digestible Bettman comments later tonight.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)