Aug 29, 2012, 6:01 PM EDT
Earlier today, PHT noted that the NHL and NHLPA are bickering over terminology in the latest CBA talks.
Recent reports indicate that along with arguing over the exact revenue pies they’re going to slice up, the two sides are also debating the merits of escrow vs. “salary rollbacks.”
Here’s a quick summary that attempts to keep your brain cells (reasonably) intact:
How it might work
Various sources including Renaud P. Lavoie report that the NHLPA is expecting a 15-20 percent escrow toll.
How it used to work
Travis Hughes points out that escrow maxed out at 12 percent in the expiring CBA, with an eight percent mark last season.
Hughes has Fehr’s full quote, where he argues that escrow and salary rollbacks aren’t all that different for players:
“From a players’ standpoint,” Fehr said, “it doesn’t make much difference. If the player doesn’t get the dollar value of his contract because of a roll back in the contract, or whether he doesn’t get an amount because there’s escrow, he still doesn’t get it. It amounts to the same thing.”
Michael Grange paraphrases Bettman’s counter-point.
Michael Grange (@michaelgrange) August 29, 2012
Expect some more digestible Bettman comments later tonight.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)