Aug 29, 2012, 6:01 PM EST
Earlier today, PHT noted that the NHL and NHLPA are bickering over terminology in the latest CBA talks.
Recent reports indicate that along with arguing over the exact revenue pies they’re going to slice up, the two sides are also debating the merits of escrow vs. “salary rollbacks.”
Here’s a quick summary that attempts to keep your brain cells (reasonably) intact:
How it might work
Various sources including Renaud P. Lavoie report that the NHLPA is expecting a 15-20 percent escrow toll.
How it used to work
Travis Hughes points out that escrow maxed out at 12 percent in the expiring CBA, with an eight percent mark last season.
Hughes has Fehr’s full quote, where he argues that escrow and salary rollbacks aren’t all that different for players:
“From a players’ standpoint,” Fehr said, “it doesn’t make much difference. If the player doesn’t get the dollar value of his contract because of a roll back in the contract, or whether he doesn’t get an amount because there’s escrow, he still doesn’t get it. It amounts to the same thing.”
Michael Grange paraphrases Bettman’s counter-point.
Michael Grange (@michaelgrange) August 29, 2012
Expect some more digestible Bettman comments later tonight.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)