Aug 29, 2012, 6:01 PM EDT
Earlier today, PHT noted that the NHL and NHLPA are bickering over terminology in the latest CBA talks.
Recent reports indicate that along with arguing over the exact revenue pies they’re going to slice up, the two sides are also debating the merits of escrow vs. “salary rollbacks.”
Here’s a quick summary that attempts to keep your brain cells (reasonably) intact:
How it might work
Various sources including Renaud P. Lavoie report that the NHLPA is expecting a 15-20 percent escrow toll.
How it used to work
Travis Hughes points out that escrow maxed out at 12 percent in the expiring CBA, with an eight percent mark last season.
Hughes has Fehr’s full quote, where he argues that escrow and salary rollbacks aren’t all that different for players:
“From a players’ standpoint,” Fehr said, “it doesn’t make much difference. If the player doesn’t get the dollar value of his contract because of a roll back in the contract, or whether he doesn’t get an amount because there’s escrow, he still doesn’t get it. It amounts to the same thing.”
Michael Grange paraphrases Bettman’s counter-point.
Michael Grange (@michaelgrange) August 29, 2012
Expect some more digestible Bettman comments later tonight.
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 1
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 8
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)