Aug 29, 2012, 6:01 PM EDT
Earlier today, PHT noted that the NHL and NHLPA are bickering over terminology in the latest CBA talks.
Recent reports indicate that along with arguing over the exact revenue pies they’re going to slice up, the two sides are also debating the merits of escrow vs. “salary rollbacks.”
Here’s a quick summary that attempts to keep your brain cells (reasonably) intact:
How it might work
Various sources including Renaud P. Lavoie report that the NHLPA is expecting a 15-20 percent escrow toll.
How it used to work
Travis Hughes points out that escrow maxed out at 12 percent in the expiring CBA, with an eight percent mark last season.
Hughes has Fehr’s full quote, where he argues that escrow and salary rollbacks aren’t all that different for players:
“From a players’ standpoint,” Fehr said, “it doesn’t make much difference. If the player doesn’t get the dollar value of his contract because of a roll back in the contract, or whether he doesn’t get an amount because there’s escrow, he still doesn’t get it. It amounts to the same thing.”
Michael Grange paraphrases Bettman’s counter-point.
Michael Grange (@michaelgrange) August 29, 2012
Expect some more digestible Bettman comments later tonight.
- Video: Bruins, Hawks combine for five goals in 11 minutes during wild second period 0
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 61
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 21
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 23
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming