Aug 29, 2012, 6:24 PM EDT
Renaud P. Lavoie has the quote:
“I hope it’s clear that our intention is to make a deal,” Bettman said. “We hope it’s fair.”
Speaking of “fair,” Bettman also discussed the much-debated league revenue issue.
“You need to consider what’s fair because we run the league at 43 percent of the revenues,” Bettman said.
If you want more specifics, here is how Bettman described how players’ shares would be handled through the first three years:
Bettman: "In our proposal, the share of the players will go down 11.5% the first year, 8.5% the 2nd, 5.5% during the 3rd...—
Renaud P Lavoie (@RenLavoieRDS) August 29, 2012
Bettman said that salaries are likely to go up after that third season.
The money quote came when Bettman said that the league’s latest proposal “moved more money” than the NHLPA’s counter, as Travis Hughes collected.
“Our counter-proposal was more significant that the NHLPA proposal,” Bettman said. “The counter-proposal moved more money than the initial proposal made by the players’ association.”
Agent Allan Walsh provided this counter-argument, though:
NHL 1st offered 43%, not hard to do. RT@drosennhl: Bettman: If trying to measure, our proposal moved more money than initial PA proposal.—
Allan Walsh (@walsha) August 29, 2012
Stay tuned as the debates about escrow and “hockey-related revenue” – among other things – continue.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)