Aug 29, 2012, 6:24 PM EST
Renaud P. Lavoie has the quote:
“I hope it’s clear that our intention is to make a deal,” Bettman said. “We hope it’s fair.”
Speaking of “fair,” Bettman also discussed the much-debated league revenue issue.
“You need to consider what’s fair because we run the league at 43 percent of the revenues,” Bettman said.
If you want more specifics, here is how Bettman described how players’ shares would be handled through the first three years:
Bettman: "In our proposal, the share of the players will go down 11.5% the first year, 8.5% the 2nd, 5.5% during the 3rd...—
Renaud P Lavoie (@RenLavoieRDS) August 29, 2012
Bettman said that salaries are likely to go up after that third season.
The money quote came when Bettman said that the league’s latest proposal “moved more money” than the NHLPA’s counter, as Travis Hughes collected.
“Our counter-proposal was more significant that the NHLPA proposal,” Bettman said. “The counter-proposal moved more money than the initial proposal made by the players’ association.”
Agent Allan Walsh provided this counter-argument, though:
NHL 1st offered 43%, not hard to do. RT@drosennhl: Bettman: If trying to measure, our proposal moved more money than initial PA proposal.—
Allan Walsh (@walsha) August 29, 2012
Stay tuned as the debates about escrow and “hockey-related revenue” – among other things – continue.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 14
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 48
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)