Aug 29, 2012, 6:24 PM EST
Renaud P. Lavoie has the quote:
“I hope it’s clear that our intention is to make a deal,” Bettman said. “We hope it’s fair.”
Speaking of “fair,” Bettman also discussed the much-debated league revenue issue.
“You need to consider what’s fair because we run the league at 43 percent of the revenues,” Bettman said.
If you want more specifics, here is how Bettman described how players’ shares would be handled through the first three years:
Bettman: "In our proposal, the share of the players will go down 11.5% the first year, 8.5% the 2nd, 5.5% during the 3rd...—
Renaud P Lavoie (@RenLavoieRDS) August 29, 2012
Bettman said that salaries are likely to go up after that third season.
The money quote came when Bettman said that the league’s latest proposal “moved more money” than the NHLPA’s counter, as Travis Hughes collected.
“Our counter-proposal was more significant that the NHLPA proposal,” Bettman said. “The counter-proposal moved more money than the initial proposal made by the players’ association.”
Agent Allan Walsh provided this counter-argument, though:
NHL 1st offered 43%, not hard to do. RT@drosennhl: Bettman: If trying to measure, our proposal moved more money than initial PA proposal.—
Allan Walsh (@walsha) August 29, 2012
Stay tuned as the debates about escrow and “hockey-related revenue” – among other things – continue.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)