Aug 29, 2012, 6:24 PM EDT
Renaud P. Lavoie has the quote:
“I hope it’s clear that our intention is to make a deal,” Bettman said. “We hope it’s fair.”
Speaking of “fair,” Bettman also discussed the much-debated league revenue issue.
“You need to consider what’s fair because we run the league at 43 percent of the revenues,” Bettman said.
If you want more specifics, here is how Bettman described how players’ shares would be handled through the first three years:
Bettman: "In our proposal, the share of the players will go down 11.5% the first year, 8.5% the 2nd, 5.5% during the 3rd...—
Renaud P Lavoie (@RenLavoieRDS) August 29, 2012
Bettman said that salaries are likely to go up after that third season.
The money quote came when Bettman said that the league’s latest proposal “moved more money” than the NHLPA’s counter, as Travis Hughes collected.
“Our counter-proposal was more significant that the NHLPA proposal,” Bettman said. “The counter-proposal moved more money than the initial proposal made by the players’ association.”
Agent Allan Walsh provided this counter-argument, though:
NHL 1st offered 43%, not hard to do. RT@drosennhl: Bettman: If trying to measure, our proposal moved more money than initial PA proposal.—
Allan Walsh (@walsha) August 29, 2012
Stay tuned as the debates about escrow and “hockey-related revenue” – among other things – continue.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)