Aug 29, 2012, 6:24 PM EDT
Renaud P. Lavoie has the quote:
“I hope it’s clear that our intention is to make a deal,” Bettman said. “We hope it’s fair.”
Speaking of “fair,” Bettman also discussed the much-debated league revenue issue.
“You need to consider what’s fair because we run the league at 43 percent of the revenues,” Bettman said.
If you want more specifics, here is how Bettman described how players’ shares would be handled through the first three years:
Bettman: "In our proposal, the share of the players will go down 11.5% the first year, 8.5% the 2nd, 5.5% during the 3rd...—
Renaud P Lavoie (@RenLavoieRDS) August 29, 2012
Bettman said that salaries are likely to go up after that third season.
The money quote came when Bettman said that the league’s latest proposal “moved more money” than the NHLPA’s counter, as Travis Hughes collected.
“Our counter-proposal was more significant that the NHLPA proposal,” Bettman said. “The counter-proposal moved more money than the initial proposal made by the players’ association.”
Agent Allan Walsh provided this counter-argument, though:
NHL 1st offered 43%, not hard to do. RT@drosennhl: Bettman: If trying to measure, our proposal moved more money than initial PA proposal.—
Allan Walsh (@walsha) August 29, 2012
Stay tuned as the debates about escrow and “hockey-related revenue” – among other things – continue.
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 4
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 5
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 30
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 52
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 82
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut