Aug 29, 2012, 4:39 PM EDT
Today’s meeting between the NHL and NHLPA saw the players meeting up with the owners a day after receiving a second proposal.
NHLPA Executive Chairman Donald Fehr says one of the changes in the new proposal, as shared by Sportsnet’s Michael Grange, sees the owners moving off their offer of giving the players 43-percent of revenues and upping that to 46-percent under the current definition of hockey related revenue (HRR).
It seems that HRR is part of the problem today, however, as Fehr says the players want to keep the current definition of what constitutes that while the owners are looking to re-define what makes that up.
The owners have apparently been bargaining under their definition of it while the players have been going by the current standard. Once they can get that figured out, they can figure out how better to divvy up the financial pie.
Fehr also say says the players’ union wants a shorter agreement, the NHL’s latest offer is for a six years. Their first proposal was for just five years. Meanwhile, Fehr hopes to have a counter-proposal for the owners by tomorrow but they need to go over the financials for more of the teams first. They hope to have something to bounce back at the owners by the latest on Friday.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)