Aug 29, 2012, 4:39 PM EDT
Today’s meeting between the NHL and NHLPA saw the players meeting up with the owners a day after receiving a second proposal.
NHLPA Executive Chairman Donald Fehr says one of the changes in the new proposal, as shared by Sportsnet’s Michael Grange, sees the owners moving off their offer of giving the players 43-percent of revenues and upping that to 46-percent under the current definition of hockey related revenue (HRR).
It seems that HRR is part of the problem today, however, as Fehr says the players want to keep the current definition of what constitutes that while the owners are looking to re-define what makes that up.
The owners have apparently been bargaining under their definition of it while the players have been going by the current standard. Once they can get that figured out, they can figure out how better to divvy up the financial pie.
Fehr also say says the players’ union wants a shorter agreement, the NHL’s latest offer is for a six years. Their first proposal was for just five years. Meanwhile, Fehr hopes to have a counter-proposal for the owners by tomorrow but they need to go over the financials for more of the teams first. They hope to have something to bounce back at the owners by the latest on Friday.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 55
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal