Aug 29, 2012, 4:39 PM EDT
Today’s meeting between the NHL and NHLPA saw the players meeting up with the owners a day after receiving a second proposal.
NHLPA Executive Chairman Donald Fehr says one of the changes in the new proposal, as shared by Sportsnet’s Michael Grange, sees the owners moving off their offer of giving the players 43-percent of revenues and upping that to 46-percent under the current definition of hockey related revenue (HRR).
It seems that HRR is part of the problem today, however, as Fehr says the players want to keep the current definition of what constitutes that while the owners are looking to re-define what makes that up.
The owners have apparently been bargaining under their definition of it while the players have been going by the current standard. Once they can get that figured out, they can figure out how better to divvy up the financial pie.
Fehr also say says the players’ union wants a shorter agreement, the NHL’s latest offer is for a six years. Their first proposal was for just five years. Meanwhile, Fehr hopes to have a counter-proposal for the owners by tomorrow but they need to go over the financials for more of the teams first. They hope to have something to bounce back at the owners by the latest on Friday.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 38
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 52
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 41
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 75
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 34
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 45
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)