Aug 29, 2012, 4:39 PM EDT
Today’s meeting between the NHL and NHLPA saw the players meeting up with the owners a day after receiving a second proposal.
NHLPA Executive Chairman Donald Fehr says one of the changes in the new proposal, as shared by Sportsnet’s Michael Grange, sees the owners moving off their offer of giving the players 43-percent of revenues and upping that to 46-percent under the current definition of hockey related revenue (HRR).
It seems that HRR is part of the problem today, however, as Fehr says the players want to keep the current definition of what constitutes that while the owners are looking to re-define what makes that up.
The owners have apparently been bargaining under their definition of it while the players have been going by the current standard. Once they can get that figured out, they can figure out how better to divvy up the financial pie.
Fehr also say says the players’ union wants a shorter agreement, the NHL’s latest offer is for a six years. Their first proposal was for just five years. Meanwhile, Fehr hopes to have a counter-proposal for the owners by tomorrow but they need to go over the financials for more of the teams first. They hope to have something to bounce back at the owners by the latest on Friday.
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 0
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 8
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 51
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)