Aug 28, 2012, 2:40 PM EDT
It’s been kind of a summer of sadness for the Columbus Blue Jackets, but one bright spot comes from first-round pick Ryan Murray. Of course, into each life a little rain must fall and for Murray it’s the labor strife between the NHL and NHLPA providing the storm clouds.
Murray tells Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch that he’s eager to get in and show the Jackets what he’s got but the possibility of a work stoppage is making things difficult.
“I’d like to get in there early, but it’s not really clear how this is going to go right now,” Murray said. “For now, I’m working out with guys in Minnesota. Guys like (Winnipeg’s) Dustin Byfuglien, (Tampa Bay’s) Ryan Malone and (Toronto’s) Jake Gardiner are there, and we’ve got a trainer who works for my agent who’s getting us ready to go.
“That’s where I’m going (back to Minnesota) when I’m done here. And I’m going to work out there and be as ready as I can be when training camp gets started, whenver that is. I hope it’s as scheduled.”
Things are a little trickier for Murray as he’d be headed back to Everett in the WHL if the start of the season is delayed by a lockout. He’s too young to go to the AHL but the Jackets have to be encouraged knowing he’s working out with elite NHL pros and is gearing up for a season in Columbus.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 14
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 12
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 28
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)