Aug 28, 2012, 2:40 PM EDT
It’s been kind of a summer of sadness for the Columbus Blue Jackets, but one bright spot comes from first-round pick Ryan Murray. Of course, into each life a little rain must fall and for Murray it’s the labor strife between the NHL and NHLPA providing the storm clouds.
Murray tells Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch that he’s eager to get in and show the Jackets what he’s got but the possibility of a work stoppage is making things difficult.
“I’d like to get in there early, but it’s not really clear how this is going to go right now,” Murray said. “For now, I’m working out with guys in Minnesota. Guys like (Winnipeg’s) Dustin Byfuglien, (Tampa Bay’s) Ryan Malone and (Toronto’s) Jake Gardiner are there, and we’ve got a trainer who works for my agent who’s getting us ready to go.
“That’s where I’m going (back to Minnesota) when I’m done here. And I’m going to work out there and be as ready as I can be when training camp gets started, whenver that is. I hope it’s as scheduled.”
Things are a little trickier for Murray as he’d be headed back to Everett in the WHL if the start of the season is delayed by a lockout. He’s too young to go to the AHL but the Jackets have to be encouraged knowing he’s working out with elite NHL pros and is gearing up for a season in Columbus.
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 1
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 38
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 47
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 54
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)