Aug 28, 2012, 2:40 PM EDT
It’s been kind of a summer of sadness for the Columbus Blue Jackets, but one bright spot comes from first-round pick Ryan Murray. Of course, into each life a little rain must fall and for Murray it’s the labor strife between the NHL and NHLPA providing the storm clouds.
Murray tells Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch that he’s eager to get in and show the Jackets what he’s got but the possibility of a work stoppage is making things difficult.
“I’d like to get in there early, but it’s not really clear how this is going to go right now,” Murray said. “For now, I’m working out with guys in Minnesota. Guys like (Winnipeg’s) Dustin Byfuglien, (Tampa Bay’s) Ryan Malone and (Toronto’s) Jake Gardiner are there, and we’ve got a trainer who works for my agent who’s getting us ready to go.
“That’s where I’m going (back to Minnesota) when I’m done here. And I’m going to work out there and be as ready as I can be when training camp gets started, whenver that is. I hope it’s as scheduled.”
Things are a little trickier for Murray as he’d be headed back to Everett in the WHL if the start of the season is delayed by a lockout. He’s too young to go to the AHL but the Jackets have to be encouraged knowing he’s working out with elite NHL pros and is gearing up for a season in Columbus.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 3
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)