Aug 28, 2012, 2:40 PM EDT
It’s been kind of a summer of sadness for the Columbus Blue Jackets, but one bright spot comes from first-round pick Ryan Murray. Of course, into each life a little rain must fall and for Murray it’s the labor strife between the NHL and NHLPA providing the storm clouds.
Murray tells Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch that he’s eager to get in and show the Jackets what he’s got but the possibility of a work stoppage is making things difficult.
“I’d like to get in there early, but it’s not really clear how this is going to go right now,” Murray said. “For now, I’m working out with guys in Minnesota. Guys like (Winnipeg’s) Dustin Byfuglien, (Tampa Bay’s) Ryan Malone and (Toronto’s) Jake Gardiner are there, and we’ve got a trainer who works for my agent who’s getting us ready to go.
“That’s where I’m going (back to Minnesota) when I’m done here. And I’m going to work out there and be as ready as I can be when training camp gets started, whenver that is. I hope it’s as scheduled.”
Things are a little trickier for Murray as he’d be headed back to Everett in the WHL if the start of the season is delayed by a lockout. He’s too young to go to the AHL but the Jackets have to be encouraged knowing he’s working out with elite NHL pros and is gearing up for a season in Columbus.
- Canada fights back to beat Sweden at worlds 0
- NHL hockey ops explains no-goal call 26
- Jack Adams Award finalists to be announced tonight 4
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 9
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 15
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 53
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 49
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 25
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (79)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)