Aug 28, 2012, 2:40 PM EST
It’s been kind of a summer of sadness for the Columbus Blue Jackets, but one bright spot comes from first-round pick Ryan Murray. Of course, into each life a little rain must fall and for Murray it’s the labor strife between the NHL and NHLPA providing the storm clouds.
Murray tells Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch that he’s eager to get in and show the Jackets what he’s got but the possibility of a work stoppage is making things difficult.
“I’d like to get in there early, but it’s not really clear how this is going to go right now,” Murray said. “For now, I’m working out with guys in Minnesota. Guys like (Winnipeg’s) Dustin Byfuglien, (Tampa Bay’s) Ryan Malone and (Toronto’s) Jake Gardiner are there, and we’ve got a trainer who works for my agent who’s getting us ready to go.
“That’s where I’m going (back to Minnesota) when I’m done here. And I’m going to work out there and be as ready as I can be when training camp gets started, whenver that is. I hope it’s as scheduled.”
Things are a little trickier for Murray as he’d be headed back to Everett in the WHL if the start of the season is delayed by a lockout. He’s too young to go to the AHL but the Jackets have to be encouraged knowing he’s working out with elite NHL pros and is gearing up for a season in Columbus.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)