Aug 28, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
This season is supposed to be, perhaps, Teemu Selanne‘s last ride through the NHL. He’s about to start his 20th season in the league, so it’s about that time, but with a possible lockout causing problems Selanne is keeping his home country in mind as a possible work stoppage solution.
Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register hears it from the Finnish Flash about his thoughts on the lockout and possibly playing for Jokerit in the Finnish league this season.
“One of my best buddies [Jarmo Kekalainen] is the GM for them,” Selanne said. ”Let’s see. I say that I want to think about it. Let’s see how things go and we’ll see.
“Obviously I know there’s a spot for me if I want to go. Like I said, I’m still optimistic but it doesn’t look good.”
When you think of what a lockout would cost fans of the NHL, missing out on perhaps the final season for a future Hall of Famer like Selanne (as well as Jaromir Jagr) while burning another year seeing guys like Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and Pavel Datsyuk it’s crazy to think how a work stoppage benefits anyone in the end.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 17
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 58
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (58)