Aug 28, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
This season is supposed to be, perhaps, Teemu Selanne‘s last ride through the NHL. He’s about to start his 20th season in the league, so it’s about that time, but with a possible lockout causing problems Selanne is keeping his home country in mind as a possible work stoppage solution.
Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register hears it from the Finnish Flash about his thoughts on the lockout and possibly playing for Jokerit in the Finnish league this season.
“One of my best buddies [Jarmo Kekalainen] is the GM for them,” Selanne said. ”Let’s see. I say that I want to think about it. Let’s see how things go and we’ll see.
“Obviously I know there’s a spot for me if I want to go. Like I said, I’m still optimistic but it doesn’t look good.”
When you think of what a lockout would cost fans of the NHL, missing out on perhaps the final season for a future Hall of Famer like Selanne (as well as Jaromir Jagr) while burning another year seeing guys like Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and Pavel Datsyuk it’s crazy to think how a work stoppage benefits anyone in the end.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (111)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)