Aug 28, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
This season is supposed to be, perhaps, Teemu Selanne‘s last ride through the NHL. He’s about to start his 20th season in the league, so it’s about that time, but with a possible lockout causing problems Selanne is keeping his home country in mind as a possible work stoppage solution.
Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register hears it from the Finnish Flash about his thoughts on the lockout and possibly playing for Jokerit in the Finnish league this season.
“One of my best buddies [Jarmo Kekalainen] is the GM for them,” Selanne said. ”Let’s see. I say that I want to think about it. Let’s see how things go and we’ll see.
“Obviously I know there’s a spot for me if I want to go. Like I said, I’m still optimistic but it doesn’t look good.”
When you think of what a lockout would cost fans of the NHL, missing out on perhaps the final season for a future Hall of Famer like Selanne (as well as Jaromir Jagr) while burning another year seeing guys like Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and Pavel Datsyuk it’s crazy to think how a work stoppage benefits anyone in the end.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 8
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 8
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 41
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 49
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (49)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)