Aug 28, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
This season is supposed to be, perhaps, Teemu Selanne‘s last ride through the NHL. He’s about to start his 20th season in the league, so it’s about that time, but with a possible lockout causing problems Selanne is keeping his home country in mind as a possible work stoppage solution.
Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register hears it from the Finnish Flash about his thoughts on the lockout and possibly playing for Jokerit in the Finnish league this season.
“One of my best buddies [Jarmo Kekalainen] is the GM for them,” Selanne said. ”Let’s see. I say that I want to think about it. Let’s see how things go and we’ll see.
“Obviously I know there’s a spot for me if I want to go. Like I said, I’m still optimistic but it doesn’t look good.”
When you think of what a lockout would cost fans of the NHL, missing out on perhaps the final season for a future Hall of Famer like Selanne (as well as Jaromir Jagr) while burning another year seeing guys like Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and Pavel Datsyuk it’s crazy to think how a work stoppage benefits anyone in the end.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 6
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 29
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)