Aug 28, 2012, 9:43 PM EDT
After losing Matt Carle to the Tampa Bay Lightning and with Chris Pronger, Andrej Meszaros, and Andreas Lilja all injured, the Philadelphia Flyers’ defense is a big question mark going into the 2012-13 campaign. At the same time, as the Flyers’ official website pointed out, it’s also an opportunity for Erik Gustafsson to earn a permanent spot on he Philadelphia Flyers’ roster.
Gustafsson made a good impression early in the 2011-12 campaign, but his season was derailed due to a wrist injury that required surgery. He ended up missing nine weeks and wasn’t the same when he returned.
Still, Gustafsson has had the off-season to get ready for a fresh start.
“It’s been a great summer,” he said. “I’ve had no setbacks at all. I’ve been working a little bit on strengthening the wrist, but otherwise I’ve just been working on the strength schedule (assistant strength and conditioning coach) Ryan Podell gave me and I feel like I’m in really good shape.”
Gustafsson sees this as the best opportunity he’s had with the Philadelphia Flyers. GM Paul Holmgren is pleased with his development and, given the situation that the Flyers are in, they might need a guy like Gustafsson to step up.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 22
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 5
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 10
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)