Aug 28, 2012, 9:43 PM EDT
After losing Matt Carle to the Tampa Bay Lightning and with Chris Pronger, Andrej Meszaros, and Andreas Lilja all injured, the Philadelphia Flyers’ defense is a big question mark going into the 2012-13 campaign. At the same time, as the Flyers’ official website pointed out, it’s also an opportunity for Erik Gustafsson to earn a permanent spot on he Philadelphia Flyers’ roster.
Gustafsson made a good impression early in the 2011-12 campaign, but his season was derailed due to a wrist injury that required surgery. He ended up missing nine weeks and wasn’t the same when he returned.
Still, Gustafsson has had the off-season to get ready for a fresh start.
“It’s been a great summer,” he said. “I’ve had no setbacks at all. I’ve been working a little bit on strengthening the wrist, but otherwise I’ve just been working on the strength schedule (assistant strength and conditioning coach) Ryan Podell gave me and I feel like I’m in really good shape.”
Gustafsson sees this as the best opportunity he’s had with the Philadelphia Flyers. GM Paul Holmgren is pleased with his development and, given the situation that the Flyers are in, they might need a guy like Gustafsson to step up.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 0
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 27
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 20
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 19
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 8
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 42
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 28
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)