Aug 28, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s Jeremy Rutherford is reporting that Blues defenseman Alex Pietrangelo will undergo minor lower-body surgery. The exact date of the procedure is unknown, but Rutherford’s source said it would happen “very soon.”
It’s worth noting that Pietrangelo suffered a knee injury in Game 1 of the St. Louis Blues’ second round series against the Los Angeles Kings.
“I could feel something wrong,” Pietrangelo said back in May. “I went off and they re-evaluated it and realized there was more of an issue than I originally thought.”
He ended up missing Game 2 of the series and he didn’t seem 100 percent when he returned. Still, in May Pietrangelo didn’t think he needed surgery and it’s not known if his current problem is related.
Pietrangelo is still expected to be available for the start of training camp, which — if there’s no lockout — is scheduled to start on Sept. 21.
He’s entering his third full NHL season after breaking out in 2010-11 and taking his game one step further with his 51-point campaign last season. Along with Kevin Shattenkirk, he’s been providing the St. Louis Blues with arguably the best duo of young offensive defensemen.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)