Aug 28, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s Jeremy Rutherford is reporting that Blues defenseman Alex Pietrangelo will undergo minor lower-body surgery. The exact date of the procedure is unknown, but Rutherford’s source said it would happen “very soon.”
It’s worth noting that Pietrangelo suffered a knee injury in Game 1 of the St. Louis Blues’ second round series against the Los Angeles Kings.
“I could feel something wrong,” Pietrangelo said back in May. “I went off and they re-evaluated it and realized there was more of an issue than I originally thought.”
He ended up missing Game 2 of the series and he didn’t seem 100 percent when he returned. Still, in May Pietrangelo didn’t think he needed surgery and it’s not known if his current problem is related.
Pietrangelo is still expected to be available for the start of training camp, which — if there’s no lockout — is scheduled to start on Sept. 21.
He’s entering his third full NHL season after breaking out in 2010-11 and taking his game one step further with his 51-point campaign last season. Along with Kevin Shattenkirk, he’s been providing the St. Louis Blues with arguably the best duo of young offensive defensemen.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 14
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15