Aug 28, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s Jeremy Rutherford is reporting that Blues defenseman Alex Pietrangelo will undergo minor lower-body surgery. The exact date of the procedure is unknown, but Rutherford’s source said it would happen “very soon.”
It’s worth noting that Pietrangelo suffered a knee injury in Game 1 of the St. Louis Blues’ second round series against the Los Angeles Kings.
“I could feel something wrong,” Pietrangelo said back in May. “I went off and they re-evaluated it and realized there was more of an issue than I originally thought.”
He ended up missing Game 2 of the series and he didn’t seem 100 percent when he returned. Still, in May Pietrangelo didn’t think he needed surgery and it’s not known if his current problem is related.
Pietrangelo is still expected to be available for the start of training camp, which — if there’s no lockout — is scheduled to start on Sept. 21.
He’s entering his third full NHL season after breaking out in 2010-11 and taking his game one step further with his 51-point campaign last season. Along with Kevin Shattenkirk, he’s been providing the St. Louis Blues with arguably the best duo of young offensive defensemen.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 11
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 40
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 38
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)