Aug 28, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s Jeremy Rutherford is reporting that Blues defenseman Alex Pietrangelo will undergo minor lower-body surgery. The exact date of the procedure is unknown, but Rutherford’s source said it would happen “very soon.”
It’s worth noting that Pietrangelo suffered a knee injury in Game 1 of the St. Louis Blues’ second round series against the Los Angeles Kings.
“I could feel something wrong,” Pietrangelo said back in May. “I went off and they re-evaluated it and realized there was more of an issue than I originally thought.”
He ended up missing Game 2 of the series and he didn’t seem 100 percent when he returned. Still, in May Pietrangelo didn’t think he needed surgery and it’s not known if his current problem is related.
Pietrangelo is still expected to be available for the start of training camp, which — if there’s no lockout — is scheduled to start on Sept. 21.
He’s entering his third full NHL season after breaking out in 2010-11 and taking his game one step further with his 51-point campaign last season. Along with Kevin Shattenkirk, he’s been providing the St. Louis Blues with arguably the best duo of young offensive defensemen.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63