Aug 28, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s Jeremy Rutherford is reporting that Blues defenseman Alex Pietrangelo will undergo minor lower-body surgery. The exact date of the procedure is unknown, but Rutherford’s source said it would happen “very soon.”
It’s worth noting that Pietrangelo suffered a knee injury in Game 1 of the St. Louis Blues’ second round series against the Los Angeles Kings.
“I could feel something wrong,” Pietrangelo said back in May. “I went off and they re-evaluated it and realized there was more of an issue than I originally thought.”
He ended up missing Game 2 of the series and he didn’t seem 100 percent when he returned. Still, in May Pietrangelo didn’t think he needed surgery and it’s not known if his current problem is related.
Pietrangelo is still expected to be available for the start of training camp, which — if there’s no lockout — is scheduled to start on Sept. 21.
He’s entering his third full NHL season after breaking out in 2010-11 and taking his game one step further with his 51-point campaign last season. Along with Kevin Shattenkirk, he’s been providing the St. Louis Blues with arguably the best duo of young offensive defensemen.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 21
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 13
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 64
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)