Aug 28, 2012, 11:14 AM EDT
We’ve heard recently from Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin when it comes to making alternative plans in case a lockout interferes with the season, and now Tampa Bay’s biggest stars are joining the party.
Steven Stamkos and Martin St. Louis both tell Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times that they too will be considering playing in Europe should a work stoppage get in the way of the season starting. St. Louis says where he’s at in his career makes a huge difference in his decision-making process.
“With my age, you want to keep playing,” the 37-year-old said Monday. “I don’t want to take a year off. If the NHL wants to shut us down, we’ll go play somewhere else.”
St. Louis played in Switzerland during the lockout that killed the 2004-05 season, a year in which the Lightning would’ve been defending the Stanley Cup. St. Louis tells Cristodero if the lockout is still raging in October, we’ll start seeing players head across the pond.
As for Stamkos, he’s not quite as definitive as his teammate saying he’s thought about heading to Europe if things get out of hand here.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)