Aug 28, 2012, 11:14 AM EST
We’ve heard recently from Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin when it comes to making alternative plans in case a lockout interferes with the season, and now Tampa Bay’s biggest stars are joining the party.
Steven Stamkos and Martin St. Louis both tell Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times that they too will be considering playing in Europe should a work stoppage get in the way of the season starting. St. Louis says where he’s at in his career makes a huge difference in his decision-making process.
“With my age, you want to keep playing,” the 37-year-old said Monday. “I don’t want to take a year off. If the NHL wants to shut us down, we’ll go play somewhere else.”
St. Louis played in Switzerland during the lockout that killed the 2004-05 season, a year in which the Lightning would’ve been defending the Stanley Cup. St. Louis tells Cristodero if the lockout is still raging in October, we’ll start seeing players head across the pond.
As for Stamkos, he’s not quite as definitive as his teammate saying he’s thought about heading to Europe if things get out of hand here.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 55
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 89
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 6
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 85
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 179
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (179)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (90)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)