Aug 28, 2012, 11:14 AM EDT
We’ve heard recently from Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin when it comes to making alternative plans in case a lockout interferes with the season, and now Tampa Bay’s biggest stars are joining the party.
Steven Stamkos and Martin St. Louis both tell Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times that they too will be considering playing in Europe should a work stoppage get in the way of the season starting. St. Louis says where he’s at in his career makes a huge difference in his decision-making process.
“With my age, you want to keep playing,” the 37-year-old said Monday. “I don’t want to take a year off. If the NHL wants to shut us down, we’ll go play somewhere else.”
St. Louis played in Switzerland during the lockout that killed the 2004-05 season, a year in which the Lightning would’ve been defending the Stanley Cup. St. Louis tells Cristodero if the lockout is still raging in October, we’ll start seeing players head across the pond.
As for Stamkos, he’s not quite as definitive as his teammate saying he’s thought about heading to Europe if things get out of hand here.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 6
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)