Aug 28, 2012, 11:14 AM EDT
We’ve heard recently from Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin when it comes to making alternative plans in case a lockout interferes with the season, and now Tampa Bay’s biggest stars are joining the party.
Steven Stamkos and Martin St. Louis both tell Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times that they too will be considering playing in Europe should a work stoppage get in the way of the season starting. St. Louis says where he’s at in his career makes a huge difference in his decision-making process.
“With my age, you want to keep playing,” the 37-year-old said Monday. “I don’t want to take a year off. If the NHL wants to shut us down, we’ll go play somewhere else.”
St. Louis played in Switzerland during the lockout that killed the 2004-05 season, a year in which the Lightning would’ve been defending the Stanley Cup. St. Louis tells Cristodero if the lockout is still raging in October, we’ll start seeing players head across the pond.
As for Stamkos, he’s not quite as definitive as his teammate saying he’s thought about heading to Europe if things get out of hand here.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)