Aug 27, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
Want a glimpse of the kind of physical commitment you need to make to succeed at the NHL level? Take a look at the video below where Canadiens defenseman PK Subban talks about his workout routine and diet:
Subban, who is currently a restricted free agent, orders a cow at the start of the summer, which his mom then prepares. He’ll then eat the whole cow over the summer.
“He doesn’t tolerate carbs very well; meaning he eats carbs and he gets fat,” Subban’s personal trainer, Clance Laylor told NHL.com. “It’s pretty much meat and vegetables, healthy fats, and that’s what really helps P.K. get rid of the excess fat. As the phases go on, we start to implement good carbs into his diet, good starches. Still no wheat and no grains, but we like good starches like yams. There are no breads, no breads, no pastas.”
Laylor is training Subban for the fourth consecutive summer and he’s also the blueliners in-season advisor. That’s a working relationship Subban seems very happy with.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 73
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50