Aug 27, 2012, 9:37 PM EST
Want a glimpse of the kind of physical commitment you need to make to succeed at the NHL level? Take a look at the video below where Canadiens defenseman PK Subban talks about his workout routine and diet:
Subban, who is currently a restricted free agent, orders a cow at the start of the summer, which his mom then prepares. He’ll then eat the whole cow over the summer.
“He doesn’t tolerate carbs very well; meaning he eats carbs and he gets fat,” Subban’s personal trainer, Clance Laylor told NHL.com. “It’s pretty much meat and vegetables, healthy fats, and that’s what really helps P.K. get rid of the excess fat. As the phases go on, we start to implement good carbs into his diet, good starches. Still no wheat and no grains, but we like good starches like yams. There are no breads, no breads, no pastas.”
Laylor is training Subban for the fourth consecutive summer and he’s also the blueliners in-season advisor. That’s a working relationship Subban seems very happy with.
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 4
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 29
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7