Aug 27, 2012, 3:48 PM EDT
One guy who’s taken advantage of the doldrums of the summer is Sergei Samsonov.
After a report surfaced last week that Samsonov would be getting a tryout with the San Jose Sharks pending a lockout, his agent Neil Abbott quickly shot that down, but make no bones about it he wants back in the NHL.
Kevin Kurz at CSNBayArea.com talked with Sharks captain Joe Thornton who says he would love to have his former Boston teammate back in the game.
“It was so long ago, but I enjoyed playing with Sergei. He can stickhandle in a phone booth and is a very high end, skilled player,” Thornton said. “It would be nice to see him back after missing last year, to see what he can do.”
Stickhandling is well and good, but if he can’t score goals then he’ll have a hard time sticking around if he returns. In his last NHL season in 2010-11 he had 13 goals and 27 assists splitting time with the Hurricanes and Panthers.
Whether or not he could rekindle old fires with Thornton in San Jose is a good question to ask, especially with Samsonov turning 34 years-old in October.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 0
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)